Lolita

by Vladimir Nabokov | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by skribble of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 3/6/2004
Journal Entry 1 by skribble from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, March 06, 2004
One of those books I feel that I should have read by now.

Journal Entry 2 by skribble from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, April 05, 2004
I always thought I knew about Lolita without having read it, simply because the name itself is bandied around and used as a kind of cultural reference. I was wrong. The book was very different from what I was expecting. I can't say I really enjoyed it, but I am glad I've read it. my thoughts on it are quite mixed up, but here are some of them anyway:

- The language used is incredible, at first I found it made the text slow going (I can't remember the last time I had to reach for the dictionary so frequently), but once I settled into the book it started to make sense and I began to enjoy the wordplay. It definately helped set the atmosphere for the plot and I also think it helped to make the subject matter more comfortable to read.

- I understand others feel that the character of H.H. elicits sympathy despite his unspeakable behaviour. I found this quite hard to understand. I enjoyed detesting him throughout. In addition to the obvious he's pompous, vain, self righteous and desperate to win sympathy and justify his behaviour. At his lowest points he blames Lo, accusing her of controling his behaviour. His ultimate excuse appears to be that he is motivated out of love for Lo. But I find this difficult to buy, he only demonstrates anything even close to love once he has lost her.

Journal Entry 3 by skribble from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 05, 2004
Reserved to send to a new reader.