Godly and Righteous, Peevish and Perverse

by Raymond Chapman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Someplace, Georgia USA on 8/23/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Tuesday, August 23, 2016
Raymond Chapman's respectful look at the clergyman of the English speaking world is affectionately rendered. I feel so grateful to have grown up with the Book of Common Prayer and the King James Bible of the former British religious establishment. I would argue a bit with Chapman about the colonies. The Post-Reformation British Church reigned in the world of my Virginian ancestors and was abandoned in a large scale after the Revolution as many colonists--not apparently my family--resented the legally enforced tithes that the Anglican churches claimed in colonial times. The American South was a real and distinct place almost 200 years before America affirmed universal freedom of religion and the wonderful language of the British Church had long nourished it. "Non-conformists" such as the Baptists who flourished on the frontier and after the Great Awakening were devoted to the King James translation through most of the 20th Century. Methodists, perhaps the second largest group, were of course offshoots of the British establishment's structure, language and tradition. In their initial practice, the Book of Common Prayer was used. I love the Methodist hymns of the Wesley brothers, perhaps most of all. It's sad that American churches, especially the Evangelicals, now seem to have abandoned the great hymns and liturgy. So many sit in auditoriums and passively sing along with Pop songs as if they were at pep rallies. Passion Church here in Atlanta has the atmosphere of a night club. So it's especially good to have this thoughtful anthology as a reminder of what the English language owes to its Clergy and strong Christian heritage. Chaucer was a devoted Catholic and one of the founders of English. He's represented here with so many other great writers, including a favorite of mine, the priest-poet George Herbert. And there's a place for the not so holy too, including Jane Austen's frightening Mr. William Collins. Chapman explains that women have not been priests long enough in the British church to establish a literary footprint. He does include a few priests and parsons from other traditions. I am releasing this to a bookcrossing friend who has this on her wish list. I hope she'll enjoy it and that it will inspire more happy reading. A few other books were called to come with GODLY AND RIGHTEOUS, PEEVISH AND PERVERSE. May these all find enthusiastic new readers in the lands of the Puritans and the Unitarians.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (10/17/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I noticed this on a friend's wish list and have decided to send it her way with some complementary books.

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, October 22, 2018
The box arrived today; thanks so much, for the wishlist book and for the bonus books as well! I'll admit that one reason I put this on my wishlist was the word "peevish" in the title - how often do you get that? {wry grin}

Later: Entertaining and thought-provoking collection here, including snippets from fiction, from personal letters and memoirs, and from historical accounts. I enjoyed spotting some of my favorite fictional clergy, including the ones we love to hate, such as Austen's Mr. Collins and Trollope's Mr. Slope. The editorial comments put these fictional clergy into perspective, sometimes revealing the real-life people who inspired the authors, and sometimes explaining the challenges of the religious life.

I was pleased to see poor Rev. Josiah Crawley here, as he personifies some of the more trying situations in which clergymen might find themselves - having a burning desire to live his faith and do good by his consitituents, but finding that his state of near-poverty (and some of his own shortcomings, including clinical depression, described more accurately here than in any other fiction I've seen) keeps getting in the way.

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Hometown Diner in Rindge, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, December 30, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (12/30/2018 UTC) at Hometown Diner in Rindge, New Hampshire USA

I left this book on a bench outside this classic diner on this bright, chilly day, after stopping for lunch. Hope the finder enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***