From The Blue

by James Cole | Poetry |
Registered by stephjb of Torquay, Devon United Kingdom on 8/16/2016
Journal Entry 1 by stephjb from Torquay, Devon United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 16, 2016
Purchased at OXFAM bookshop in Torquay

Journal Entry 2 by stephjb at Torquay, Devon United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 16, 2016
'James Cole was born in Torquay and has lived in the west country for all his life. He has been writing for some years and is a member of The Company Of Poets, a group of Devon-based writers and has had some of his poems published in their anthologies. He gets much of his inspiration from walking Dartmoor and from the sea and coastline of the south west. He has attended courses run by The Arvon Foundation at Totleigh Barton, north Devon. Other interests include painting. He currently lives in Totnes. This is his first collection of poetry.'

Having now lived in Torquay for a few weeks, I am interested to discover the local arts and culture scene so was very pleased to spot this slim volume of poetry in the OXFAM bookshop. James Cole's inspiration by the seasons and natural landscapes of Devon shines through many of his poems and I can completely understand his love for this area. Poems such as Caliburn and Out To Sea seem to demonstrate a real yearning and I loved the simple yet vivid imagery of Horses and The End Of The Day. Other poems I found a little heavy-handed and I wasn't sure about the order in which they appear. I struggled to maintain a sense of atmosphere as we jumped around in time. From The Blue does have a strong sense of location and I also felt a loneliness to the work. Poems do say 'we' for their narrator, but human influence is absent from the natural spaces leaving me easily imagining the poet in these wild places alone.

Journal Entry 3 by stephjb at Torquay Indoor Market in Torquay, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, September 15, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (9/15/2016 UTC) at Torquay Indoor Market in Torquay, Devon United Kingdom

On the Rowcroft Hospice book table