corner corner Hidden

Hidden
by Emma Kavanagh | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingPlum-crazywing of Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 11/27/2016

status (set by Plum-crazy): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, November 27, 2016

HE'S WATCHING

A gunman is stalking the wards of a local hospital. He's unidentified and dangerous, and has to be located. Urgently.

Police Firearms Officer Aden McCarthy is tasked with tracking him down. Still troubled by the shooting of a schoolboy, Aden is determined to make amends by finding the gunman—before it's too late.

SHE'S WAITING

To psychologist Imogen, hospital should be a place of healing and safety—both for her, and her young niece who's been recently admitted. She's heard about the gunman, but he has little to do with her. Or has he?

As time ticks down, no one knows who the gunman's next target will be. But he's there. Hiding in plain sight. Far closer than anyone thinks...

Journal Entry 2 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 06, 2018

The idea of this story is one that sadly is all too familiar to us these days - a lone gunman randomly killing innocent victims. Who is the gunman & what has caused him to commit this heinous act?

The tale opens with the devastation the gunmans actions have caused & with two of the main players injured...or dying? at this point we don't know but it certainly hooks the reader from the off, well it did me anyway!

The story then back tracks a few days & the story unfolds from the view point of various characters. From Charlie, a reporter, & the gunman we hear the story first hand while that of Ade's, an Armed Response Officer, & Imogen's, a psychologist, is told in the third person. This format worked well, though it was a good job the chapters - which were usually quite short & snappy - where headed up with the name of the character "talking".

The plot was cleverly written with quite a few twists in the tale & one that I never expected - which was a refreshing change. As the book reached it's conclusion though, I found I was having to keep referring back a page or two to keep events & who was doing what straight in my mind. Consequently, the tension that should have been building up kept getting interrupted so it wasn't quite the edge of the seat finale I could/should have had....but maybe that was just down to me not concentrating!

All-in-all a really good gripping read although the confusion I found at times & the relationship between the gunman & one of the characters (if I say who it might be a spoiler! Anyhow it didn't convince me, & I couldn't see them getting together) means it doesn't full marks from me.