Caleb's Crossing

I'm yours till we part.
by Geraldine Brooks | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winggoldenwattlewing of Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on 4/11/2018
Journal Entry 1 by winggoldenwattlewing from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, April 11, 2018
In 1665, a young man from Martha's Vineyard became the first Native American to graduate from Harvard College."
This book is the fictional tale of what might have happened to Caleb in his life.

I found this book in a small free library in Gerringong, NSW, outside the Town Hall. I left a book and took this one.

Journal Entry 2 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, April 11, 2018
I enjoyed this book. However when I began to read it I didn't think I was going to be able to write that; the first few pages were an effort to get through. The references to religious beliefs and sinning, etc were a turn off for me. A culture shock. This was, though, to set the scene of the lives of the people living in this fundamentalist Christian sect. I found their lives very depressing, especially as I am female.
The story evolved as I read it and I was drawn into the lives of the participants. It was interesting reading about the interaction of the settlers and the original inhabitants. It was perhaps even more interesting to learn something of the foundation of Harvard University.
It was sad that Caleb never was able to attain his potential; dying early of TB. All the way through the book I hoped that Bethia would find a way to escape this claustrophobic community. She did for awhile.
A worthwhile read.

Journal Entry 3 by winggoldenwattlewing at Downer, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, June 29, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (6/30/2018 UTC) at Downer, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Released at the Bookcrossing meet in Ganggang Café in Downer, ACT. Enjoy.

Ganggang Café and Bar

Journal Entry 4 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, June 30, 2018
Picked up at the Bookcrossing meet in Ganggang Café in Downer, ACT.

This is the only one of Geraldine Brooks' novels that I haven't read yet.

Thanks for bringing it to the meet up GW :D