corner corner The Partner

I'm yours till we part.

The Partner
by John Grisham | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by winggoldenwattlewing of Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on 1/8/2017

status (set by goldenwattle): available

Journal Entry 1 by winggoldenwattlewing from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, January 08, 2017

They watched Danilo Silva for days before they finally grabbed him. He was living alone, a quiet life on a shady street in Brazil; a simple life in a modest home, certainly not one of luxury. Certainly no evidence of the fortune they thought he had stolen. He was much thinner and his face had been altered. He spoke a different language, and spoke it very well. But Danilo had a past with many chapters. Four years earlier he had been Patrick Lanigan, a young partner in a prominent Biloxi law firm. He had a pretty wife, a new daughter, and a bright future. Then one cold winter night Patrick was trapped in a burning car and died a horrible death. When he was buried his casket held nothing more than his ashes.From a short distance away, Patrick watched his own burial. Then he fled. Six weeks later, a fortune was stolen from his ex-law firm's offshore account. And Patrick fled some more. But they found him.

Bought from the store in Tharwa, ACT.

Journal Entry 2 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, February 13, 2017

This reminded me of the author's book 'The Racketeer ', which was another story of legal manipulation. 'The Partner' I felt moved slower though. For that other story I wrote, "A rollicking tale of corruption, imprisonment, regaining freedom." Perhaps less of a "rollicking tale" here, but still an enjoyable read. I am rating this one one star less though.

A comment: It grated with me that Eva was referred to as "the girl" by several characters. It sounds so dismissive. Patrick was never referred to as "the boy". That would have sounded wrong; as referring to Eva "a girl" does. She's a grown woman; a lawyer; she shouldn't be made to sound juvenile.

Journal Entry 3 by winggoldenwattlewing at Civic, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, February 24, 2017

Released 12 mos ago (2/25/2017 UTC) at Civic, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Released at the Bookcrossing meet-up in King O'Malley's Pub in Civic, ACT. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 4 by beli-jg at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, March 24, 2017

Enjoyed the twists andturns

Journal Entry 5 by beli-jg at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, March 24, 2017

Released 11 mos ago (3/25/2017 UTC) at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

At Canberra book crossing March meeting

Journal Entry 6 by winggoldenwattlewing at Kingston, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, March 25, 2017

Picked up in Mövenpick in Kingston, ACT. This was left on the table, so I took it to wild release.

Journal Entry 7 by Needle-n-Thread at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, February 06, 2018

I read a bit of this, but lost interest. Returned to Goldenwattle.

Journal Entry 8 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, February 06, 2018

Back with me.