The First Conspiracy

The Power of Literature
by Brad Meltzer | History |
Registered by Libre-Muncher of Las Cruces, New Mexico USA on 2/23/2019
Journal Entry 1 by Libre-Muncher from Las Cruces, New Mexico USA on Saturday, February 23, 2019

The author is very honest in the prologue of this book by admitting that the conclusion that he makes at the end of the book is, to some extent, conjecture.

The entire book is really a report of the research that was done to discover one of the least known chapters of the history of the American Revolution.

Throughout this book there are events that have come up to whet my curiosity about the events of the opening days of the revolution. Some of my curiosity has been settled by this book and I now have a better handle on the personalities and the events of those opening days.

When I was a child, and a serious reader, I read all of Cooper's Leatherstocking Tales which were fictional books mostly set in what is now New England during the days of the French and Indian War. Those stories fascinated me and I was disappointed when I finished the last of them. I then discovered The Spy, another fictional work by Cooper, but set in New York, mostly in Manhattan and in what is now Brooklyn and White Plains. I was a bit young for that book and did not really understand what the story was about and who were the "good" guys and who were the "evil" folks. Years later, I searched for another copy of The Spy in order to reread it and see if I could sort out the story. It was much easier since I had learned something of the military events in the Boston as well as New York. My curiosity, however was enlarged by this story because I still had problems with cause and effect of the events. How could a relatively small group of colonialists decide to take on the most powerful military establishment in the world?

I still do not have all of my questions answered, but after reading this book, I have a better understanding of the events and why the struggle of a group of people to get fair treatment for taxes and trade evolved into a decision that spurred those people to support a Declaration of Independence rather than just fair treatment under the existing government. This story inspired all of the excitement that I experienced when I finally read Cooper's The Spy but in a nonfiction telling of the story.

The point of this book is to consider the conspiracy to kidnap or to assassinate the very person who had become a hero to the colonials, George Washington. The book goes far further than to just delve into that conspiracy, but to provide information into the daily lives of the colonial citizens and the governmental people in charge under the power of the King of England. The authors of this book have performed a wonderful service to me and, I hope to other readers who chance to pick up this book.

Journal Entry 2 by Libre-Muncher at Las Cruces, New Mexico USA on Friday, March 01, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (3/1/2019 UTC) at Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

I passed this book along to a friend who expressed interest in reading it.