Hearts of the Missing

The Power of Literature
by Carol Potenza | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Libre-Muncher of Las Cruces, New Mexico USA on 12/17/2018
Journal Entry 1 by Libre-Muncher from Las Cruces, New Mexico USA on Monday, December 17, 2018

There is no surprise that this novel won the 2017 Tony Hillerman Prize. Do not assume that the prize indicates that the story-line parrots any of the Hillerman books, though there are some similarities. The story is centered around the traditions of a Pueblo (rather than Diné as the Hillerman books have been) and involve murders that somehow seem to be related to tribal traditions and ceremonials that are forbidden to non-tribal individuals.

If you have read my comments on previous books, then you know that I am drawn to first novel efforts by authors. This one fits into that pattern. This book is a first novel by this author (who happens to be a local one for me) and it is a wonderfully crafted mystery. There was a lot of research that went into this story and that, along with a plot that kept my attention from the first page to the end makes me want to recommend this book to any mystery lover.

Journal Entry 2 by Libre-Muncher at Mesilla Valley Kitchen on Lohman in Las Cruces, New Mexico USA on Saturday, December 22, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (12/22/2018 UTC) at Mesilla Valley Kitchen on Lohman in Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

I left this book on one of the chairs under the menu board to your left as you enter the restaurant