Grief Cottage: A Novel

The Power of Literature
by Gail Godwin | Teens |
Registered by Libre-Muncher of Las Cruces, New Mexico USA on 2/2/2018
Journal Entry 1 by Libre-Muncher from Las Cruces, New Mexico USA on Friday, February 02, 2018

I don't know what I was thinking when I picked up this book at the book store. I certainly does not look like the type of book that I would plan on buying, but it does look interesting. The name seems to relate to some sort of gothic tale and the illustration on the dust cover certainly looks ominous. I remember that when I was in grade school and middle school (or it was Junior High in those days) I would have jumped at a book that had a mysterious cover like this one, but I have now grown up and no longer am attracted to "that sort" of book.

That being said, this is a thoroughly enjoyable book. I guess that I would not classify it as a gothic tale, though the copyright page lists "gothic" as one of the descriptors. It is somewhat of a ghost story, but not a scary one (there are some parts that are pretty scary but they do not involve the ghost, they more involve living folks who do dumb things). I think that I will list this book in the "teen" category when I post it to the Book Crossing website. As I advance into more and more maturity, I find that I am enjoying young adult literature more and more. I guess that I am getting more childish. This book, however is not a child's book.

When I used the word "scary" in the previous paragraph I should have used the word "angst" because the situations that I was referring to were examples of angst. This book is about personal relationships between strangers as well as between friends and relations. I guess that I need to stop here before I convince you that this book is more complicated than it is. I do recommend this as a wonderful read.

By the way, after I read this book, I looked at the biographical note on the author. I was not surprised that included in her past efforts that she was a writer of libretti. This book could very well be developed into a libretto. Another "by the way" concerns the gloomy illustration on the dust cover. That scene is very well described in the latter part of the book in which cadmium yellow is discussed.

Journal Entry 2 by Libre-Muncher at Mesilla Valley Kitchen on Lohman in Las Cruces, New Mexico USA on Saturday, December 08, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (12/9/2018 UTC) at Mesilla Valley Kitchen on Lohman in Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

I left this book on one of the chairs under the menu board to your left as you enter the restaurant.