Desert Flower

by Waris Dirie | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingJ4shawwing of Boise, Idaho USA on 8/8/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingJ4shawwing from Boise, Idaho USA on Monday, August 08, 2016
About the Book
Waris Dirie ran away from her oppressive life in the African desert when she was barely in her teens, illiterate and impoverished, with nothing to her name but a tattered shawl. She traveled alone across the dangerous Somali desert to Mogadishu—the first leg of a remarkable journey that would take her to London, where she worked as a house servant; then to nearly every corner of the globe as an internationally renowned fashion model; and ultimately to New York City, where she became a human rights ambassador for the U.N. Desert Flower is her extraordinary story.

My Review
Shocking, harrowing, insightful...this book leads you through the journey that was Waris Dirie's life. Her narrative is so unique, and very "no nonsense" in its storytelling - I found it utterly captivating.
A resilient and head-strong Somali woman - makes you feel privileged to learn so much from her and I thank her for letting her guard down in telling her story.

Journal Entry 2 by wingJ4shawwing at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Saturday, September 10, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (9/12/2016 UTC) at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia

Sending for the 2016 Southern Cross Book Exchange - July
Sorry its quite a bit late!

(I always add physical postage stamps to my packages. If you are not a collector yourself, check out the I collect postage stamps because... thread to find them a happy home.)

Journal Entry 3 by book-a-neer at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, November 01, 2016
Finally got around to journaling this.

Thank you again J4Shaw for sending this book. I might just start on it right away.

Journal Entry 4 by book-a-neer at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Thursday, July 04, 2019
This was quite an interesting book. Her tale of FGM was quite hard to take and was painful to read. Well done to her for coming out and telling the world about it.

A really eye-opening story.

Journal Entry 5 by book-a-neer at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Thursday, July 04, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (7/4/2019 UTC) at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia

Companion book to AmberC’s choice for the OzVBB.

Journal Entry 6 by wingamberCwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Friday, July 19, 2019
Thank you for the extra. I read this a few years ago and enjoyed it.

Journal Entry 7 by wingamberCwing at Myilly Point in Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Monday, July 29, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (7/29/2019 UTC) at Myilly Point in Darwin, Northern Territory Australia

On the book swap shelf.