Botswana Time

by Will Randall | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
Registered by anathema-device of Graz, Steiermark Austria on 8/3/2016
Journal Entry 1 by anathema-device from Graz, Steiermark Austria on Wednesday, August 03, 2016
Sometimes people give me books they've read and don't want to keep so I can register them on BookCrossing and release them. This is one such book.

Journal Entry 2 by anathema-device at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (11/8/2016 UTC) at Graz, Steiermark Austria

Travelling all the way to Finland as a wishlist tag. Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingkirjakkowing at Sipoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, November 11, 2016
That was really quick! Thanks, I'll be off to a holiday today, great timing!

Journal Entry 4 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, February 16, 2020
Sakirmo is coming to town next week and has this on her wishlist and luckily I took this along to exile... I escaped the East-European plumbers who took over our block of flats and live in a dollhouse (24 m2) in Lauttasaari for the time being.
Began reading and no wonder Alexander McCall Smith is praising this book on its cover: there is a story about a wedding where a guest next to the writer speaks mostly in quatations, Pliny the Elder, Shakespeare and the like and then tells him that he should go to Botswana, which is "not only ladies and their detective agencies" which lost our writer completely. Wicked. Reminds me of my trip to Edinburgh where I was looking for a LFL on Scotland Street. I had checked from a map where Scotland Street was when leaving the flat, but then I lost faith and asked a man passing me if I was heading to the right direction.
"Yes, Scotland Street is the next street." As an afterthought he said: "But if you are looking for a particular number, it does not exist!"

Pic: The LFL on Scotland Street, Edinburgh.

Journal Entry 5 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, February 19, 2020
I like this guy and his way of describing his travels, it's almost as if was on the back seat of their vehicle. And yet I'm so thankful that I am reading this in my own bed, which is soft, dry and comfy and I don't need to hung a mosquito net over it. When I was little I wanted to travel and even work in Africa, but as long as I have had some sense in mi head I have been content with Europe. But I know so well what he means when he writes:
"Such was the feeling of freedom, adventure and camaraderie that returning to work seemed to be an increasingly impossible proposition."
I have spent ten days at sea in a ketch which housed ten guests and three members of staff. It was their opening of the season so first we sailed the leaking vessel from Penzance up to the Hebrides where we spent a week whale-watching. I had not read the small print and was surprised to realize that I shared my cabin with seven men, so it became also a male-watching expedition. Who says Brits are conservatives? I fell in love with the peace, quiet and beauty of the enchanted Hebrides and the humour of our captain who was the life and soul of the trip. We went shopping and filling up the tank once, otherwise we saw only flora and fauna and other vessels in horizon. It was before mobile phones and I suppose the place would have been too remote for them anyhow, so we hardly remembered the outside world. And just before we had to return to the civilization we run into a school of some 200 dolphins doing their morning aerobics around us - magical! So when I left the boat and sat down in a noisy train tears just poured out of my eyes due to the sensory overload and culture shock I was facing. And sadness for having to leave that paradise and those people I would probably never see again.

Journal Entry 6 by wingkirjakkowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, February 22, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (2/22/2020 UTC) at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

Finally finished this in the nick of time, an hour before our meet-up.
I loved the first part of the book, but when Mr Mango began to have responsibilities the tone changed slightly and even more towards the end, as his duties increased. He is obviously at his best as footloose and fancy free. Hopefully I will come across his other books.
Have fun, Sakirmo, and stay well away of the Dirks of this world.

Journal Entry 7 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Sunday, February 23, 2020
The book is with me now, thank you!!