Turtle Moon

by Alice Hoffman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingReallyBookishwing of Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on 7/24/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingReallyBookishwing from Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, July 24, 2016
Wow... this was a wonderful, powerful read. Hard to put down! It kept me riveted pretty much throughout and turning the pages far later into the night than I intended.

Hoffman is a natural storyteller, and her writing is beautiful and magical, but simple and clear at the same time. This is a very atmospheric novel and the characters are also richly-drawn: readers will come to care about them, plain and simple.

Journal Entry 2 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, August 04, 2016
Reserving for the General Literature VBB.

Description from Amazon:

"The New York Times bestselling author of Second Nature and Here on Earth presents a 'captivating...truly original novel' (Cosmopolitan), the story of a divorced woman, her disillusioned teenage son, and the events that change their lives in ways both simple and extraordinary. When Keith Rosen runs away from his Florida home - inexplicably taking along a motherless baby - his mother is perplexed and terrified. She takes off on her own journey to find him. And Turtle Moon follows their path, in a 'suspenseful, beautifully written' story that confirms once again the exquisite talent of Alice Hoffman."

Journal Entry 3 by wingReallyBookishwing at General Literature VBB, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, September 18, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (9/19/2016 UTC) at General Literature VBB, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

This is headed out to perryfran, who selected it from the General Literature VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Monday, September 26, 2016
Received today...thanks! I recently read an Alice Hoffman novel and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to this one.

Journal Entry 5 by wingperryfranwing at Elk Grove, California USA on Friday, September 27, 2019
Another compelling and engaging novel from Hoffman. I've read a few of her other works, most recently The Dovekeepers and for the most part I have enjoyed them although I thought The Dovekeepers fell a little flat. Turtle Moon, on the other hand, was very magical and heartwarming and I enjoyed it very much. It tells the story of a group of people who live in Verity, Florida, and what happens to them in a very eventful month of May. It seems that strange and bad things always happen in May in Verity. Julian Cash was born in that month and spent his childhood living in a foster home when his mother abandoned him. He is now a deputy on the police force who not many people want to associate with. Then there is the divorced woman, Lucy Rosen, who leaves New York for Florida along with her now 12-year old disillusioned son, Keith, the meanest boy in Verity. But then a heinous crime occurs and Keith runs off with a motherless baby much to Lucy's perplexity. She takes off on a journey to learn the truth and Julian is there to watch over her. There is also Julian's cousin, Bobby, who died in a car crash and is now an angel residing in the gumbo-limbo trees and who is forever 19.

Hoffman is very good at creating characters that you really can empathize with. She also paints a vivid picture of life in south Florida including the various fauna and flora such as the owls and marlins, snakes, fire ants, strangler figs, and gumbo-limbo trees. I have a few others Hoffman novels on my TBR stacks and will be looking forward to reading more of her.

Journal Entry 6 by wingperryfranwing at booklady331's ABC VBB, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Friday, September 27, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (9/27/2019 UTC) at booklady331's ABC VBB, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Sending to NancyNova in PA who selected it from the ABC VBB. Enjoy!

USPS Tracking: 9449009699937834485965

Journal Entry 7 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, October 08, 2019
checking in. Very cool pictures in the j/e's. Thanks!