Against the Country: A Novel

by Ben Metcalf | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by avanta7 on 7/23/2016
Journal Entry 1 by avanta7 on Saturday, July 23, 2016
This blurb is one of the reasons I registered in the LibraryThing drawing for this novel: "Exceptional in its verbal brilliance and conscientiousness, AGAINST THE COUNTRY involves us in a family's anguished and hilarious struggle against the strange dooms that seem peculiar to white rural America. This is a savage and gladdening novel." Wow, huh? Sounds fabulous. "Verbal brilliance" and "hilarious struggle"? I should have loved this!

My first clue that I wouldn't was coming across the word "metafiction" in the inside cover synopsis. Perhaps I'm a plebeian, but I don't even know what "metafiction" means. However, if it means writing whole paragraphs in verbose, meandering rhetorical questions that drip with condescension while maintaining a griping, complaining, I'm-so-much-better-than-my-background voice, then count me out.

I called it quits at page 47 because I have no desire to endure another 300 pages of someone with a superiority complex bitching about his childhood.

Thanks for nothing, LibraryThing.

Journal Entry 2 by avanta7 at Urban Grounds on College Ave. in Avondale Estates, Georgia USA on Saturday, July 23, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (7/23/2016 UTC) at Urban Grounds on College Ave. in Avondale Estates, Georgia USA

Fly, be free!