The Last Runaway

by Chevalier, Tracy | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 000735035X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingBoekentrolwing of Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on 7/16/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingBoekentrolwing from Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, July 16, 2016
Synopsis:
"Honor Bright is a modest English Quaker who moves to Ohio in 1850, only to find herself alienated and alone in a strange land. Sick from the moment she leaves England, and fleeing personal disappointment, she is forced by family tragedy to rely on strangers in a harsh, unfamiliar landscape.

Nineteenth-century America is practical, precarious, and unsentimental, and scarred by the continuing injustice of slavery. In her new home Honor discovers that principles count for little, even within a religious community meant to be committed to human equality.

However, drawn into the clandestine activities of the Underground Railroad, a network helping runaway slaves escape to freedom, Honor befriends two surprising women who embody the remarkable power of defiance. Eventually she must decide if she too can act on what she believes in, whatever the personal costs."

Journal Entry 2 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, July 17, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (7/19/2016 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

This book is now travelling to ...... as a gift for their birthday!

Happy birthday!! And I hope you enjoy the book I picked for you!

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, September 21, 2016
I received this great Wishlist Book for my Birthday, thanks so much for thinking of me and for helping to celebrate my Birthday. I look forward to reading it soon.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, April 26, 2017
Honor Bright, a young Quaker woman from Bridport, England leaves her home and family to travel with her sister to Ohio in the early 1850s after being shockingly jilted by her fiancé. Her sister, who is going to the United States to be married, dies tragically before she even reunites with her husband-to-be, leaving Honor alone with tenuous ties to anyone in Ohio. To complicate matters the Underground Railroad is at its peak in Ohio with slaves appearing almost daily in the area on their way north. As a Quaker, Honor sympathizes with the plight of the runaway slaves but soon learns that things are much more complicated. Struggling with the force of her convictions she nevertheless begins to question all that she has held dear. To make matters worse she cannot seem to find solace or peace in this strange land despite the fact that she marries and has a child. Even the comfort of her faith eludes her. Surprisingly, her best times are spent with Belle Mills, a milliner and underground railroad supporter, and Mrs.Reed, a black woman who also works with the Underground Railway.

Underlying the themes of freedom, faith, doubt, and hope is the ever-present quilting that Honor is so proud of and that has always brought her peace. The patterns of the various quilts, the stitches and colors and even the importance of quilting in everyday life all become metaphors for Honor's journey which, ultimately is as much one of self-awareness and maturity as it is the difficult and laborious voyage from one kind of life to another.

Journal Entry 5 by wingbookstogivewing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (4/26/2017 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Releasing as a selection from the General Literature VBB, Happy Reading!

To the finder of this book:

Journal Entry 6 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, May 10, 2017
Thank you, bookstogive! I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 7 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, February 03, 2020
This was a great read. I love historical fiction, and have always been interested in the Underground Railroad. The book was well-plotted, with interesting characters. The themes are timeless: doing the right- vs. the legal thing; having a strong faith and questioning it in difficult times; trying to fit into a new society; the comforts and difficulties of being part of a family...

The author, in her Historical Note, presents a sobering statistic: the estimated 30,000 slaves who were able to escape via the Underground Railroad between 1800 and 1865 represented only 1% of the entire slave population of 3.9 million, "making the Underground Railroad less significant than we might hope."

The notes section also provides background on slavery, Abolition, Fugitive Slave Laws, Ohio, and the Quakers. Important for anyone unfamiliar with U.S. history who might read this book.

Journal Entry 8 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, February 07, 2020

Released 5 mos ago (2/6/2020 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

On its way to pinklady60 to fulfill a wish. Hope you like it!

Journal Entry 9 by pinklady60 at San Diego, California USA on Tuesday, February 11, 2020
A quick read, which I enjoyed very much. Thank you, eponine38 for seeing it on my wishlist and sending it to me.

Against her husband's wishes, a Quaker woman tries to help runaway slaves escaping to freedom through Ohio.