Dark as a Hazel Eye: Coffee & Chocolate Poems

by Author unknown | Poetry |
ISBN: 1933974184 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingReallyBookishwing of Ambler, Pennsylvania USA on 7/10/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingReallyBookishwing from Ambler, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, July 10, 2016
I really do love poetry. I realize that it's not popular, but I still love it. I enjoyed this collection. As with most anthologies, some of the selections resonated with me more than others. However, I felt that the quality of the writing overall was high. The book is divided into six sections: Buzz, Craving, Bliss, Bitter, Ritual, and Afterlife.

It's a short book, but rather than rushing through, I found myself taking my time and savoring each poem-- much as I might a square of dark chocolate or a cup of strong coffee. Sometimes I read a poem several times before moving on. I made it a lingering, leisurely reading experience.

Released 2 yrs ago (7/11/2016 UTC) at RABCK, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

This is headed out as a RABCK to a fellow BookCrosser who might enjoy it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, July 14, 2016
The books arrived safely today - many thanks! This one looks wonderful, food-and-beverage-themed poems by a variety of authors. (My cat already drooled on it {wry grin}.) I have a release spot in mind for it already, but I'm going to savor it first.

Later: Enjoyable collection, strongly themed but with a pleasing variety of tones. Definitely worth savoring - ideally over a well-brewed cup of your favorite coffee or hot chocolate! Favorite poems included "What You Need", "In the Cafe at the End of the World", and "Reportorial".

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, October 13, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (10/13/2016 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm sending this to BCer HI77 in Florida as part of a trade. Enjoy!

*** Released as part of the 2016 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***

*** Released as part of the 2016 Tick Tock release challenge. ***

*** Released as part of the 2016 Spooktacular Halloween release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 5 by HI77 at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Friday, October 21, 2016
A liquid heaven,

a rich pool of mud
and white streaks sliding.

Journal Entry 6 by HI77 at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Thursday, March 02, 2017
I love the silky feel of the book itself. And the richness of it's chocolately appearance is very inviting. :)

The poems though? Eh.

Most weren't that great or would have been better unread. There were a small handful I thought were good, but there weren't enough to redeem this book. Harsh? Perhaps. But I both read and write poetry, I haven't patience for purple prose or bad verse. Even worse, when they screw up the meter count on a strict form poem that have very precise rules, like a sonnet or a villianelle.

Here's one of the good ones I liked:

"In the Cafe at the End of the Road" By R.G. Evans

The surface of my latte trembles
as if it wants to scream

Something terrible is coming
and of course it is.

The Richtering underfoot is the wrecking ball
smashing one more childhood into dust,

it's the emanations from an IED someone's favorite
uncle just triggered by the side of the road,

it's the wall of water rushing toward the sunken city
where not even dogs or chickens are safe up on the roofs,

it's the bombast of thunder that roars in the dark, saying
Fear? Yes, fear, the next one will be closer still,

it's the footsteps of the giant father in your dreams
burst from your unconscious and coming down the hall.

We huddle under tables for two,
pray to the gods of fair trade,

make our last confessions to baristas
too lost in the ecstasy of macchiato

to absolve even themselves.
I hold my paper cup like a chalice,

begging its runic ripples to help me understand,
but the best it can do is preach in Portuguese.

about what happens when the mountain
finally decides to come down.