The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel (P.S.)

by David Wroblewski | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by MoomaOma of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 7/9/2016
Journal Entry 1 by MoomaOma from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 09, 2016
From Amazon:

Beautifully written and elegantly paced, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle is a coming-of-age novel about the power of the land and the past to shape our lives. It is a riveting tale of retribution, inhabited by empathic animals, prophetic dreams, second sight, and vengeful ghosts.

Born mute, Edgar Sawtelle feels separate from the people around him but is able to establish profound bonds with the animals who share his home and his name: his family raises a fictional breed of exceptionally perceptive and affable dogs. Soon after his father's sudden death, Edgar is stunned to learn that his mother has already moved on as his uncle Claude quickly becomes part of their lives. Reeling from the sudden changes to his quiet existence, Edgar flees into the forests surrounding his Wisconsin home accompanied by three dogs. Soon he is caught in a struggle for survival — the only thing that will prepare him for his return home

Journal Entry 2 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 09, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (7/9/2016 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the July BookCrossing Meeting to be enjoyed by the next reader.

Journal Entry 3 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 09, 2016
Thank you so much MoomaOma for passing this book to me, I will be meeting up with a Bookcrosser from the UK and this one is on her wishlist!

Journal Entry 4 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 16, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (7/16/2016 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Welcome to Calgary, Teachie , I home that you have enjoyed your vacation!

Journal Entry 5 by wingteachiewing at High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, August 05, 2016
Now home after a wonderful holiday touring Canada. Thank you Herchelle for taking the time to come and meet me in Calgary and for bringing the books. I will journal again once I have read them.

Journal Entry 6 by wingteachiewing at High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 13, 2017
Set in Canada, the story of a mute boy and his empathy with his dogs. The Sawtelle dogs are unique due to their training.
This follows the story of Edgar, a thriller, a ghost story and a history.
I am taking this to the Edinburgh meet up next Saturday where I shall release it.

Journal Entry 7 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, August 20, 2017
Picked up at the Edinburgh Book Festival mini-meet-up. Lovely to meet you Teachie and thanks for recommending this one, it looks very good.

Journal Entry 8 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, September 16, 2017
So this is the epic tale of a family living in a rural area. The focus of the story is on the family relationships which are complicated and not always happy. Edgar, the main character is not deaf but is unable to talk and this has a huge impact on the outcome of events. The family are famous dog trainers and again this is relevant to the story and affects what happens to everyone. I liked this book, especially the character of Edgar's mother, who I thought was amazing.
Will try and get this one travelling again soon.

Journal Entry 9 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, September 25, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (9/25/2017 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

And off it goes to Okarih as a little autumnal rabckery. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 10 by wingokarihwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, September 28, 2017
Thank you so much for the RABCK, bookfrogster, and for the postcard! I'm looking forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 11 by wingokarihwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, December 05, 2020
I must have had this book on my bedside table ever since I received it from bookfrogster. I've been reading it in fits and starts since then so it's taken me over 3 years to read it! There was something about Edgar's character that made me go back to the book time and time again and not give up half way. The book starts off slowly but in the second half there's an uncle who is a chilling character and an epic journey and I couldn't put it down. I'm so glad I persevered. I'm not sure if I liked the last chapter about the Sawtelle dogs though..
I'm going to think about what to do with this book now... shall I leave it in the wild or maybe I should find someone else that has this on their wishlist...