Kafka on the Shore

by Haruki Murakami | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingjlautnerwing of Henderson, Nevada USA on 7/7/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingjlautnerwing from Henderson, Nevada USA on Thursday, July 07, 2016
Arrived today from an Amazon seller. Used, a bit worn.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjlautnerwing at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Saturday, July 30, 2016
This is the third book I've read by Murakami and I have decided it will be the last. I think I started reading them because I mixed up his name with another Japanese writer (I wish I could remember who). The writer I liked creates great characters and develops deep emotions. I don't feel that with Murakami.

Kafka Tamura leaves home when he can no longer stand living with his egotistical, cruel father, taking with him money he steals from his father's hiding spots. He goes on the road and falls into adventure after adventure. "Kafka" is not his real first name; he adopts it because it feels right.

Meanwhile, an older man named Nakata, who talks to cats, ends up in the house of a man who kills cats. Nakata is a gentle soul who can't read because of a strange incident that happened when he was a child. He recalls that he used to be able to read but he doesn't remember anything about the incident.

The two are connected by some sort of bizarre thread from the past. They get closer and closer to each other, not knowing about this connection. Kafka, an avid reader, finds friends in a private library, and is assisted by them to protect his identity. He is only 16. His time with the friends he makes brings him closer to the adult world.

These adventures, particularly those of Nakata, are often mythical. There are strange happenings and Nakata knows he has special powers, powers that are beyond human.

The encounters with other-worldly myth-like characters reminded me of Way of the Peaceful Warrior, which I read back in the 1980s. At that time I had never read anything like it before and it had an effect, but it wasn't long before I wondered WTH. I am not a fan of this type fantasy-parading-as-self-actualization.

Journal Entry 3 by wingjlautnerwing at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Monday, August 08, 2016
reserved for bookstogive's general lit VBB.

Journal Entry 4 by wingjlautnerwing at Henderson, Nevada USA on Saturday, February 16, 2019
Setting aside for bookcrossing member, who requested it from bookstogive's general lit book box.

Journal Entry 5 by wingjlautnerwing at Henderson, Nevada USA on Sunday, February 17, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (2/17/2019 UTC) at Henderson, Nevada USA

Sent to bookcrosser who chose it from general lit book box.

Journal Entry 6 by Meekachu07 at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Thursday, February 21, 2019
Book arrived today. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 7 by Meekachu07 at Staten Island, New York USA on Saturday, March 09, 2019

Released 1 wk ago (3/9/2019 UTC) at Staten Island, New York USA

Shipping to Staten Island, NY via BookMooch.com. Enjoy!