Lincoln's Melancholy: How Depression Challenged a President and Fueled His Greatness

by Joshua Wolf Shenk | Audiobooks |
Registered by imawinn2 of Neenah, Wisconsin USA on 7/2/2016
Journal Entry 1 by imawinn2 from Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, July 02, 2016
I did not know the depths of President Lincoln's depression. To have moved through life, living with bouts of melancholy that carried him to the edge of the abyss, only to face the directing and lifting a nation through one of it's worst periods in American history, shows the true strength and determination of this great leader. Never are the words of Friedrich Nietzche, "That which does not kill me makes me stronger", more true than when looking at Abraham Lincoln.

This is a very good book to read, if you are interested in learning about mental illness/depression. It follows Lincoln's life, from boyhood to his death, describing his battle with severe depression (suffering two complete breakdowns), yet shows how he used his depression to drive himself to achieve great things. Remember, this was an age when depression wasn't taken quite so seriously, there were no anti-depressant medication, and the sufferer generally was treated by keeping him/her isolated at home, to be tended by family and friends (as in Lincoln's case). Lincoln learned how to come to terms with his melancholy, live with it, and manage his bouts through several stages to get through the darkness.

This was a very interesting read. I recommend it to those who like history, want to learn more about Abraham Lincoln, or interested in mental illness.

Journal Entry 2 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (11/1/2016 UTC) at Neenah, Wisconsin USA

Sending this audiobook to Booklady331. She picked this one off the CD Only VBB list. Happy Travels! Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, November 10, 2016
Arrived today. Thank you for sending it to me. The package was ripped in a few places, so glad it made it to my mailbox.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, October 27, 2017
I made it through three discs. I found the book boring. I think maybe this would’ve been a better book to have read then to listen to. I am reserving it for a CD box