Baking Cakes in Kigali

by Gaile Parkin | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingkeeta1wing of Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on 6/25/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingkeeta1wing from Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Saturday, June 25, 2016
Amazon Editorial Review
This soaring novel introduces us to Angel Tungaraza: mother, cake baker, pillar of her community, keeper of secrets big and small. Angel’s kitchen is an oasis in the heart of Rwanda, where visitors stop to order cakes but end up sharing their stories, transforming their lives, leaving with new hope. In this vibrant, powerful setting, unexpected things are beginning to happen: A most unusual wedding is planned, a heartbreaking mystery involving Angel’s own family unravels, and extraordinary connections are made—as a chain of events unfolds that will change Angel’s life and the lives of those around her in the most astonishing ways..

Sent to me by Bloedengel for a wishlist tag game (2nd copy)

Journal Entry 2 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Saturday, October 15, 2016
A good read once you get past the rather slow start. Although the book has as it's background the history of Rwanda, with it's genocide, poverty, AIDS and Ebola, it's not a depressing read. A really African novel.

Journal Entry 3 by wingkeeta1wing at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Friday, October 21, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (10/20/2016 UTC) at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases

Off to the winner of a sweep :)
Congratulations and Happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by CathrineB at Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway on Monday, October 31, 2016
Oh, this looks like an interesting story! And from Rwanda as well! I haven't read many books set in Africa, so this is great! Thank you very much!
Also, thanks for the postcard, bookmark, tea bags and chocolate!

Journal Entry 5 by CathrineB at Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway on Tuesday, December 20, 2016
Oh, this was a really nice read! Although a fictional story, parts of it is based on true stories that was told to the author. I found it interesting that people appearently found it easier to tell their story to Angel, a Tanzanian woman, than to someone from their own country; Rwanda.

Journal Entry 6 by CathrineB at Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway on Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (12/21/2016 UTC) at Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway

To Nordpirat:)

Journal Entry 7 by Nordpirat at Bromma, Stockholm Sweden on Tuesday, December 27, 2016
Arrived today. The package was a piece of art in itself - one side was completely covered with Norwegian stamps.
Thank you for sending it to me CathrineB!

Journal Entry 8 by Nordpirat at Bromma, Stockholm Sweden on Friday, September 07, 2018
I really liked this book!
At first it was very feel-good and every day life-ish and I started to get used to the form of one customer and one customer-story per chapter. But then it made a slight turn; the characters started to interconnect and the subjects deepened somewhat.
In one sense this was an unusual novel for my part. I've read a number of books that I thought too long, too many redundant words etc. This one was quiet the opposite, and that is something that rarely happens to me. I read the last chapter wishing the book had a couple of hundred pages more to go. I didn't want it to end. I wanted to know more about the people and city, what would happen next. I wanted to stay with those characters a while longer.

Journal Entry 9 by Nordpirat at Espresso House Drottninggatan 90 in Stockholm, Stockholm Sweden on Monday, September 10, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (9/10/2018 UTC) at Espresso House Drottninggatan 90 in Stockholm, Stockholm Sweden

Dear finder of this book;
Welcome to bookcrossing!
Please make a journal entry and let us know where you found this book. When you've read it, feel free to release it back into the wild again to help it continue its journey and find new readers.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 10 by Panzeranzi at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Tuesday, September 25, 2018
Couldn´t resist this novel at a fika with fellow bookcrossers.