They Call Me Naughty Lola: Personal Ads from the London Review of Books

by David Rose | Humor |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/22/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, June 22, 2016
I found this good-condition hardcover at a local Goodwill thrift shop, and thought it looked like fun: a collection of quirky personal ads from the London Review of Books (which, I admit, I wouldn't have thought to be a fount of personal ads of any kind beyond "Do you know the title of this book? It was green, and had something to do with horses...").

Later: I enjoyed this, though it wasn't quite the laugh-riot I might have hoped. It's a mix of surreal, humorous, and poignant, as one wonders just what the writers were thinking when they penned their ads. (Some are intentionally snarky or goofy, clearly crafted with care; others... not so much.) They range from page-and-a-half epics to Twitter-style quips - of which I rather liked this one: "Bastard. Complete and utter. Whatever you do, don't reply - you'll only regret it." He does include his contact info, and is clearly playing the "don't push that button" meme for all it's worth!

Then there's the one that opens with "What's your favourite preserved body part? Mine is the diseased bladder of Italian biologist Lazzaro Spallanzani... This and many more conversation-killers available..." If you want an ad to whittle down the responses, that should do it. And as a morbidly-curious person myself, I might have replied to it, had I been seeking an "F, 32" at the appropriate time.

The book ends in mildly-surreal fashion with an itemized list of daredevil Evel Knievel's "chronology of jumps and injuries", perhaps to appeal to sports fans?

Very weird and quite entertaining!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Northside Grille in Hudson, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, December 03, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (12/3/2016 UTC) at Northside Grille in Hudson, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this in or near the Northside Grille at around 5 while stopping by for dinner. Hope the finder enjoys it!

*** Released as part of the 2016 What's In A Name release challenge. ***