corner corner Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, Bk 1)

Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, Bk 1)
by Jacqueline Winspear | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingperryfranwing of Elk Grove, California USA on 6/28/2016

status (set by ReallyBookish): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Received via Bookmooch.com

Maisie Dobbs - Maisie Dobbs, Bk 1
Author: Jacqueline Winspear

Maisie Dobbs isn't just any young housemaid. Through her own natural intelligence -- and the patronage of her benevolent employers -- she works her way into college at Cambridge. When World War I breaks out, Maisie goes to the front as a nurse. It is there that she learns that coincidences are meaningful and the truth elusive. After the War, Maisie sets up on her own as a private investigator. But her very first assignment, seemingly an ordinary infidelity case, soon reveals a much deeper, darker web of secrets, which will force Maisie to revisit the horrors of the Great War and the love she left behind.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing at Elk Grove, California USA on Sunday, February 04, 2018

Maisie Dobbs is a young woman who in 1929 is able to open a business as a private investigator or as she decided to call herself, a "Psychologist and Investigator." At a young age, she is fortunate to be placed as a house servant and maid in the house of Lord Julian and Lady Rowan Compton. While there she is found early one morning by Lady Rowan in the library reading and taking notes on a book on philosophy. This leads to her tutelage under a good friend of Lady Rowan, Maurice Blanche. Maisie ends up taking over Blanche's investigative business. Her first case seems to be quite routine looking into a possible marital betrayal but this leads to a mysterious home for disabled and disfigured veterans of the Great War. Maisie had spent time as a nurse in France during the war and her experiences there come back to haunt her as she investigates the home for veterans.

The novel was obviously extensively researched especially the details of the horrors of trench warfare in WWI including descriptions of injuries of soldiers who have lost noses, jaws, and eyes making them want to get away from society. England in the 1920s is also depicted well and the characters in the books are all well-portrayed. Overall a very enjoyable read. I have some others in this series that I hope to get to soon.

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing at bookstogive's mystery/thriller VBB, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, February 04, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (2/3/2018 UTC) at bookstogive's mystery/thriller VBB, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

This one is off to ReallyBookish...a selection from the Mystery VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, February 12, 2018

The book arrived safely today. Many thanks!

Journal Entry 5 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Hmm... I guess I am in the minority here because many people seem to love this series and I had heard great things about it. This one just didn't work for me. I never connected with the writing style, characters, or story. It took me a loooong time to read it. I won't be picking up others in the series.

Oh, well! Not my cup of tea, but I am glad that other readers have enjoyed it. This has been promised in the wishlist tag game and will be headed out shortly.

Journal Entry 6 by wingReallyBookishwing at Wishlist tag game, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Released 2 wks ago (5/29/2018 UTC) at Wishlist tag game, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

This is headed out to iwillrejoice as part of the wishlist tag game. Enjoy!