The Changeling

by Robin Jenkins | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by bookfrogster of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 6/19/2016
Journal Entry 1 by bookfrogster from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, June 19, 2016
Robin Jenkins is such a great writer and I feel more people should know about him. Picked this up in a charity shop for the next Spurtle Sweeps. It's a tale of good intentions that go horribly wrong.

Journal Entry 2 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, October 22, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (10/17/2016 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

And off it goes to the winner of the book, tea and chocolate sweeps. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by CathrineB at Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway on Wednesday, October 26, 2016
Thank you very much for this book, chocolate and tea!

This sounds like an interesting story!!

Journal Entry 4 by CathrineB at Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway on Wednesday, March 07, 2018
From the back of the book:
"The changeling of the title is Tom Curdie, the product of a Glasgow slum. Thirteen years old, he is on porbation for theft. His teachers admit him to be clever, but only one, Charles Forbes, sees in his reticence and in his seemlingly insolent smile a magnanimity uncanny in a child. He decides to take Tom on holiday with his own family. And the effect of his decision is the subject of this book.

It is a work that explores one of Jenkins' most consistent and fruitful themes - the fate that awaits goodness and innocence in the face of growing up and learning to live in our society. It is a moving novel that has confirmed the reputation of an author who long has been regarded by his peers as a major force in British writing."

Mr Forbes wanted to give the boy some new experiences, and intending that the holiday could plant a seed in the boy, making him change to the better. But what about the life that comes after the holiday? Is it possible to survive in the slum beeing a "good boy" that is soft and feels pity? And then there's the family of Mr Forbes - spending the summer holiday together with a kid they don't know, a kid that's a thief, isn't easy.
Although I was thinking that Mr Forbes did something right when he took the boy with him and his family on holiday, I see that it wasn't necessarily totally right either. In one way, I believe that Tom deserved getting away for a while, and that it could be useful, but experiencing a "normal" life could be challenging to bear when coming home. And for Mr Forbes family, I would consider it useful in a way to spend the holiday with someone that's different in a way, given that they manage to open their eyes and see behind their prejudices. This did bring some challenges to the family.

It was a well written story, and it made me think. I'm glad I got a chance to read this book.

Journal Entry 5 by CathrineB at Eggemoen in Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway on Sunday, May 20, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (5/20/2018 UTC) at Eggemoen in Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway

Released at Eggemoen, hanging on a fence near Flyplassveien.

Released as a part of the T book release challenge and the release books at places matching the letters in Bookcrossing challenge at the Scandinavian forum.

Journal Entry 6 by CathrineB at Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway on Friday, June 08, 2018
This book had still not been caught, so I moved it a little bit. It's now hanging at the fence at the beginning of the 5/10 km track at Eggemoen, near the parking lot.