Mystery in White: A Christmas Crime Story (British Library Crime Classics)

by J. Jefferson Farjeon | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 071235770X Global Overview for this book
Registered by veleta of Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on 6/13/2016
Journal Entry 1 by veleta from Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, June 13, 2016
Several unrelated passengers get stuck before Christmas in a train going to Manchester. They decide to try to reach the village of Hemmersby on foot, but the snowfall is so great that they can't even see their path and they get lost. All these people arrive to a house with the door unlocked, the fire burning in the fireplaces and the kettle boiling over, and have no other option that to call it a day and sleep on it. However, there is a spirit of disquiet and mystery in the house who puts all of them on the edge. One of the passengers is even supposed to be a psychic. Is there a ghost in the house? Doors that get locked and unlocked, the nervous breakdown caused by sleeping in a certain bed, sitting on a certain chair or looking at a particular portrait... Smith is the last one in arriving, but he denies to have come from the train.

There are several things which go against my suspension of disbelief.So many people jumping train in the middle of the mother of all snow storms cries to heaven - you are stuck and that's it nothing you can do about it except blaming TfL.

Journal Entry 2 by veleta at Camel & Artichoke in Waterloo, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, July 03, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (7/3/2016 UTC) at Camel & Artichoke in Waterloo, Greater London United Kingdom

Today.

Journal Entry 3 by wingrahar109wing at Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 13, 2016
Taken from the shelves at Tuesday's meet-up.

Journal Entry 4 by wingrahar109wing at Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on Sunday, September 10, 2017
A mysteriously empty house, a murder, a snowstorm and general spookiness all enjoyably mixed together in an entertaining story. And I agree with veleta that setting off in a blizzard is not the most sensible thing to do!

Journal Entry 5 by wingrahar109wing at Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, December 06, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (12/4/2018 UTC) at Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom

Posted to my NSS partner.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by Meg72 at Ílhavo, Aveiro Portugal on Thursday, December 27, 2018
Thank you so much, rahar109! I loved everything in my Secret Santa package (although I had a hard time unwrapping all the gifts :-))))))