Hidden Figures: The Untold Story of the African American Women Who Helped Win the Space Race

by Margot Lee shetterly | History |
ISBN: 0008201323 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingiiwiwing of Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on 8/2/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingiiwiwing from Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, August 02, 2018
Before John Glenn orbited the earth, or Neil Armstrong walked on the moon, a group of dedicated female mathematicians know as "human computers" used pencils, slide rules, and adding machines to calculate the numbers that would launch rockets, and astronauts, into space.
Starting in World War II and moving through to the Cold War, the Civil Rights Movement and the Space Race, Hidden Figures follows the interwoven accounts of Dorothy Vaughan, Mary Jackson, Katherine Johnson, and Christine Darden - four African American women who participated in some of NASA's greatest successes. It chronicles their careers over nearly three decades as they faced challenges, forged alliances, and used their intellect to change their own lives, and their country's future.

Journal Entry 2 by wingiiwiwing at Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, August 02, 2018
Some of our supermarkets have LFL's and I found this book in one of them. It will go on a ray!
Participants:

iwillrejoice
Ollie1976
rhythmbiscuit
missprisy

Journal Entry 3 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, August 21, 2018
This has arrived safely in the Swiss Alps, along with another ring or two (and the first days of the new school year - always very busy). I'll try to get to it as soon as possible. Thanks for making this available and sending.

Journal Entry 4 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Sunday, September 09, 2018
This came in as a bookring, and I was keen to read it, having heard about but not having the possibility to see the film (and always preferring to read the book before seeing the film).
I have somewhat mixed feelings about this book - on the one hand it is a very important story that had to be told - what heroes all of these women were, and how quickly we forget, and so many people around the world don't even realize what the United States was so very recently. I remember travelling in the US with an Italian friend and being invited to a country club which had been built because all the others were "restricted".. and she struggled to comprehend that segregation and no blacks/no Jews/no... could have existed in our lifetimes.
Parts of the story swept me up and had me pinned to the page. On the other hand, perhaps because I am reading this at the beginning of the school year with work starting up and loads of distractions, there were long passages, surely well worth taking the time to focus on and comprehend, about the technical advances being worked on, which I found rather slow-going. Math was not a particular forte of mine, so maybe it's just my age-old aversion, but I related to and appreciated the more human parts of the story far more than the more technical aspects. I know it was ground-breaking and essential, and maybe at another moment I would have the patience to get everything out of those bits.
One thing that puzzled me a bit, was that if I've understood correctly, at the time of the moon-landing, one of the people directly involved (and I've already parcelled the book so can't check the name), was in the Poconos at a sorority weekend? I would have thought she'd want to be with her colleagues.
Anyway, I'm very glad to have read this and as I said, I did greatly appreciate most of the book, just found some parts quite thick to wade through, which accounts for why it's been with me for so long!

Journal Entry 5 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France on Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (9/12/2018 UTC) at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France

This has travelled by car from Switzerland to France, and is being posted from there. It heads to Scotland next. Thanks so much for making this available.

Journal Entry 6 by Ythan at Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 18, 2018
It's here.

Thank you.

Journal Entry 7 by Ythan at Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, October 22, 2018
One of those books that you really need to read more than once to get the full benefit of the stories being told. I wanted to enjoy the book as I did the film but there was just too much information and at times I did get confused as to which of the women I was reading about. I think for me, telling their stories through film made it easier to understand who was who and what they achieved.

Journal Entry 8 by Ythan at A BOOKRAY , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (10/23/2018 UTC) at A BOOKRAY , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off travelling to VintageVanguard in Germany.

Journal Entry 9 by VintageVanguard at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Sunday, October 28, 2018
Hidden Figures arrived safely with me and I'm looking forward to reading it. Thank you!