corner corner The Garlic Ballads

The Garlic Ballads
by Mo Yan | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAzukiwing of Miami, Florida USA on 5/27/2016

status (set by AlterEgoZoe): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Friday, May 27, 2016

My first introduction to Mo Yan was through the movie Red Sorghum. It was an award winning film but I was probably too young to understand it I just found it boring. Then I read Big Breasts & Wide Hips, and honestly I disliked that book so much, I considered passing this book on without reading it. Thankfully I did not.

The story is about several villagers, who were involved in a riot when, after a good harvest, the garlic price plummeted and the government refused to buy the villagers' harvest. The story is told in bits and pieces, starting with the villagers' arrest, followed by flashbacks that flesh out the characters - including the fatalistic Gao Yang, who thinks that Heaven makes man with different material, and he, a peasant, is made with leftovers. The romantic Gao Ma, madly in love in a girl who has been contracted into a marriage by her parents so her limp brother can get a wife.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAzukiwing at Far East/Asian Bookbox, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 15, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (8/15/2016 UTC) at Far East/Asian Bookbox, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Putting into the Far East Bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by freezone at Leominster, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, November 19, 2016

This book made a quick stop at my home, as part of the Asian book box.

Journal Entry 4 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, February 26, 2017

Took out of the Far East Book Box

Journal Entry 5 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, March 07, 2018

Started and stopped reading this book a couple of times. I think the writing style I didn’t enjoy, so will get this book moving soon.