corner corner Alien Tongue (The Next Wave, Book 2)

Alien Tongue (The Next Wave, Book 2)
by Stephen Leigh, Rudy Rucker | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by BOOKWORMINUSALL of Mesa, Arizona USA on 5/20/2016

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by BOOKWORMINUSALL from Mesa, Arizona USA on Friday, May 20, 2016

Friends of the Library purchase.

Journal Entry 2 by BOOKWORMINUSALL at Trumansburg, New York USA on Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (12/13/2016 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

Controlled Release:

1. *US* Only - "READ IT, SWAP IT, LEAVE IT" Bookring Game

2. What's in a Name (DragonGoddess) http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/23/535547
AL, TON, AVE, BO...[Al]ien [Ton]gue (The Next W[ave], [Bo]ok 2)

HAPPY READING! : )

Journal Entry 3 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Thursday, December 22, 2016

This book is one of the ones that arrived in the game, and this i my pick to swap, so it it headed for my TBR shelf.

Journal Entry 4 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Thursday, April 27, 2017

I had a hard time getting into this book, and nearly put it down a few times during the first hundred or so pages. However, once I got into it, I really enjoyed the story and the exploration of a very alien culture. I didn't find the main two characters, Kaitlin and Patrick, all that interesting or engaging. (Patrick was downright irritating at times.) I found the two human side characters and the aliens they met much more interesting. There are a few aspects of the story that seem a bit dated, but for the most part, this was an excellent tales of an unusual first contact scenario.

Journal Entry 5 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, June 02, 2017

Released 8 mos ago (6/2/2017 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

Added to the Sci-Fi Bookbox

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, June 28, 2017

I'm claiming this from the SF bookbox. Couldn't resist a title like that!

Journal Entry 7 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, February 04, 2018

I enjoyed the book, one indication of which is the number of pages I marked as want-to-cite-for-the-review - too many to actually use, though, so I shall summarize! I agree with emmejo's assessment in the main - the alien-contact elements struck me as intriguing, among the better versions of Really Alien constructs, and I liked that - and the secondary human characters - better than the rather weary-making Great Love between Patrick and Kaitlin. It did take me a while to get used to the weird typography for the alien names and languages, but once I fell into the rhythm the story flowed more smoothly.

The "Wormy and His Friends" scripts, from a fictional children's show loosely themed on the alien-contact/wormhole stuff, left me a bit cold, though I appreciated the nudge at the silly-commercialism-of-almost-anything.

The bonus material - Isaac Asimov's introduction, and Rudy Rucker's "Alien Contact" essay - were quite interesting in their own right.

Journal Entry 8 by wingGoryDetailswing at Town Common, Rtes. 13 and 119 in Townsend, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, February 04, 2018

Released 3 wks ago (2/4/2018 UTC) at Town Common, Rtes. 13 and 119 in Townsend, Massachusetts USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, on the gazebo on the town common on this grey Superbowl Sunday afternoon; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2018 Science Fiction release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2018 Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes release challenge. ***