Bottomland: A Novel

by Michelle Hoover | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by haahaahaa98 of Watertown, Massachusetts USA on 5/10/2016
Journal Entry 1 by haahaahaa98 from Watertown, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, May 10, 2016
2nd novel of writer friend; bought specifically for bc release; to be released!

Journal Entry 2 by haahaahaa98 at Panera Bread, 299 Harvard St. in Brookline, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, May 21, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (5/21/2016 UTC) at Panera Bread, 299 Harvard St. in Brookline, Massachusetts USA

To be released at local bc meeting.

Journal Entry 3 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, May 21, 2016
Caught at the meetup. Wow - didn't know the author is a friend of yours. Makes it extra intriguing!

Amazon:
At once intimate and sweeping, Bottomland--the anticipated second novel from Michelle Hoover--follows the Hess family in the years after World War I as they attempt to rid themselves of the Anti-German sentiment that left a stain on their name. But when the youngest two daughters vanish in the middle of the night, the family must piece together what happened while struggling to maintain their life on the unforgiving Iowa plains.

In the weeks after Esther and Myrle's disappearance, their siblings desperately search for the sisters, combing the stark farmlands, their neighbors' houses, and the unfamiliar world of far-off Chicago. Have the girls run away to another farm? Have they gone to the city to seek a new life? Or were they abducted? Ostracized, misunderstood, and increasingly isolated in their tightly-knit small town in the wake of the war, the Hesses fear the worst. Told in the voices of the family patriarch and his children, this is a haunting literary mystery that spans decades before its resolution. Hoover deftly examines the intrepid ways a person can forge a life of their own despite the dangerous obstacles of prejudice and oppression.

Edit 4/15/17: I'm partway through this book and am enjoying it (I often read several books at once) :-) . Am offering it in bookstogive's General Literature VBB. As soon as it's requested, I'll finish it...if not before. :-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, August 08, 2017
I have mixed feelings about this. The writing is spare, but beautiful. I like the idea of each chapter being narrated by a different character; it’s worked well in other books I’ve read. Here, to me, there was a considerable difference in my interest level depending on the character.

The novel made clear how difficult it must have been for German immigrants in the US following WWI, especially in rural areas like Iowa farmland. I didn’t always agree with how the Hess family reacted to their neighbors’ attitude, but I can understand their viewpoint. And the descriptions of Chicago in that era, with the young women factory workers, had an authentic feel.

Overall, it was a bit depressing, but worth the read. I had never heard of this, so I thank you, haahaahaa98, for sharing it – and I think it’s really cool that you know the author!

Journal Entry 5 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (8/8/2017 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

On its way to Readertoo via bookstogive's General Literature VBB. Thanks for your patience, and I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 6 by wingReadertoowing at Sugar Land, Texas USA on Friday, August 18, 2017
I chose this book from eponine38 in the General Literature VBB. It looks like an interesting read. Thanks for sharing it!