"B" Is For Burglar

by Sue Grafton | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by RealBookWorm on 3/1/2004
Journal Entry 1 by RealBookWorm on Monday, March 01, 2004
From the back cover:

"Finding wealthy Elaine Boldt seems like a quickie case to Kinsey Millhone. The flashy widow was last seen wearing a $12,000 lynx coat, leaving her condo in Santa Teresa for her condo in Boca Raton. But somewhere in between, she vanished. Kinsey's case goes from puzzling to sinister when a house is torched, an apartment is burgled of worthless papers, the lynx coat comes back without Elaine, and her bridge partner is found dead. Soon Kinsey's clues begin to form a capital M - not for missing, but for murder: and plenty of it."

Journal Entry 2 by RealBookWorm on Wednesday, January 26, 2005
I just put this in the mail yesterday at noon. It's heading off to Pyan in trade for a knitting book.

Journal Entry 3 by Pyan from Menasha, Wisconsin USA on Monday, February 07, 2005
Arrived in the mail today ... thank you so much for trading!

Journal Entry 4 by Pyan from Menasha, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, May 07, 2005
This is much better than the first in the series.

The introduction of characters, events and places was clear and full of suspense. It ends with an excellent twist of events, but seems to rush at the end (my only complaint).

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of her books ... hoping the rest of the series will be more on par with this one than "A is for Alibi."

One note on the condition of the book itself -- the last couple pages are loose and clipped with a paper clip. Wish I knew how to glue them in, but I don't.

Also, if you see a brown stain *blush* -- it's chocolate. Sorry :(

Journal Entry 5 by Pyan at Book Relay in Book Relay, Book Relay -- Controlled Releases on Friday, June 03, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (6/6/2005 UTC) at Book Relay in Book Relay, Book Relay -- Controlled Releases

Mailing to AceofHearts who accepted on relay site.

Journal Entry 6 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, June 14, 2005
received in a bookrelay
TBR
Thanks

Journal Entry 7 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, January 01, 2009
Kinsey Millhone, private detective, takes on a case to find wealthy Elaine Boldt for her sister. This should be easy and take only a day or two. Wrong!!

The widow was seen leaving her condo in California in a lynx fur coat to go to her condo in Florida. But she never got there. Kinsey follows the path but somewhere along the way it starts turning very sinister. The house next door in California was torched just before Elaine left. Is this just an unrelated event? A woman claiming Elaine is elsewhere is camped out in her Florida condo. Her cat was dropped off at the vets and never retrieved and her fur coat turns up with Elaine

Kinsey does not have as much personality as some of the other series detectives such as McNally and Dallas but the story is much more involved and the twists and turns more rewarding.

Journal Entry 8 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 11, 2009
Reading now!

Journal Entry 9 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Friday, January 16, 2009
Kinsey Millhone is hired by the sister of Elaine Boldt, a wealthy widow who was last seen heading to the airport for her regular trip to Florida. Boldt seems to have been missing since that flight. Millhone is on the case and flies to Florida to track Boldt down. Except there are inconsistencies back in California as well. There was a murder in the home next door and Boldt disappeared before she was set to be questioned by police. Could this have something to do with Boldt's disappearance?

I find that Kinsey Millhone has absolutely no personality whatsoever. I remember not enjoying the first in the series that much, and now I remember why. These novels are very flat. There is no humor and we don't learn too much about Kinsey. That just means that the mystery has to be that much more captivating. Unfortunately, I didn't find it captivating at all, but rather a little dull. Then the book just ends. I think this will be the last book I read from the alphabet series.

Journal Entry 10 by wingAceofHeartswing at Second Cup - Lakeshore at Navy in Oakville, Ontario Canada on Sunday, November 08, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (11/8/2009 UTC) at Second Cup - Lakeshore at Navy in Oakville, Ontario Canada

Taking to the Meet-Up

Journal Entry 11 by aliaskris29 on Sunday, December 13, 2009
Found this at second cup in Oakville. Going to read then release.

Journal Entry 12 by aliaskris29 at No Frills - Brant Street in Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, December 20, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (12/20/2009 UTC) at No Frills - Brant Street in Burlington, Ontario Canada

Releasing near the front entrance.