Baudolino

by Umberto Eco | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingperryfranwing of Elk Grove, California USA on 4/16/2016
Amazon.com | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR | Amazon IT
Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Saturday, April 16, 2016

I've had this book on my shelves for several years -- unread. Now registering and making available.

Baudolino
Author: Umberto Eco, WIlliam Weaver (Translator)

It is April 1204, and Constantinople, the splendid capital of the Byzantine Empire, is being sacked and burned by the knights of the Fourth Crusade. Amid the carnage and confusion, one Baudolino saves a historian and high court official from certain death at the hands of the crusading warriors and proceeds to tell his own fantastical story. — Born a simple peasant in northern Italy, Baudolino has two major gifts-a talent for learning languages and a skill in telling lies. When still a boy he meets a foreign commander in the woods, charming him with his quick wit and lively mind. The commander-who proves to be Emperor Frederick Barbarossa-adopts Baudolino and sends him to the university in Paris, where he makes a number of fearless, adventurous friends.

Spurred on by myths and their own reveries, this merry band sets out in search of Prester John, a legendary priest-king said to rule over a vast kingdom in the East-a phantasmagorical land of strange creatures with eyes on their shoulders and mouths on their stomachs, of eunuchs, unicorns, and lovely maidens.

With dazzling digressions, outrageous tricks, extraordinary feeling, and vicarious reflections on our postmodern age, this is Eco the storyteller at his brilliant best.

8/4/16: Including in the E authors bookring. Hope someone will enjoy it!

Journal Entry 2 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, August 11, 2016
I am picking this book from the "E" authors. Now, to decide what to replace it with. Thank you for sharing and for the book mark.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, July 17, 2018
I couldn't get into this book so I am going to pass it on. I don't think it will make for a good wild release. Hope there is someone on BC who would like this book.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (7/17/2018 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! Sending it to another BCer who has it on her wish list. Hope she enjoys it.

Journal Entry 5 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Thursday, July 26, 2018
Arrived safely today. Thank you!