The Jewels of Paradise

by Donna Leon Leon Donna | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Trimppa of Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on 4/15/2016
Journal Entry 1 by Trimppa from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Friday, April 15, 2016
This was an unusual kind of Donna Leon. Did not quite convince me, but see for yourselves.

Journal Entry 2 by Trimppa at Upseerikerho in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Friday, April 15, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (4/16/2016 UTC) at Upseerikerho in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

Jossain naulakoiden vaiheilla.

Journal Entry 3 by MiuM at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Monday, May 09, 2016
I was having lunch today at the Upseerikerho and I found the book on a window sill. A nice surprise! I have read a lot of Guido Bruni stories by Leon, but I guess this is something different!
---

From Amazon: "Internationally praised for her Commissario Guido Brunetti series, Donna Leon’s first standalone novel features a widely different but equally compelling sleuth, Caterina Pellegrini. Caterina is a native Venetian, and like so many of them, she’s had to leave home to pursue her career. With a doctorate in baroque opera from Vienna, she lands in Manchester, England. Manchester, however, is no Venice. When Caterina gets word of a position back home, she jumps at the opportunity.

The job is an unusual one. After nearly three centuries, two locked trunks, believed to contain the papers of Agostino Steffani, a baroque composer have been discovered. Deeply-connected in religious and political circles, the composer died childless; now two Venetians, descendants of his cousins, each claim inheritance. Caterina’s job is to examine any papers found in the trunks to discover Steffani’s “testamentary disposition” of the composer. But when her research takes her in unexpected directions she begins to wonder just what secrets these trunks may hold. From a masterful writer, The Jewels of Paradise is a superb novel, a gripping tale of intrigue, music, history and greed."

Journal Entry 4 by MiuM at Kaarina, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Friday, October 18, 2019
I have enjoyed Brunetti books several years ago, but for some reason this book has not convinced me. I have begun to read it many times, but it has not invited me to read further. Finally I read half of the book, and it had interesting moments, but I guess I am not in the right state of mind for it. I will pass the book on to someone else.

Journal Entry 5 by MiuM at Messukeskus in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, October 26, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (10/26/2019 UTC) at Messukeskus in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Onnittelut! Olet löytänyt aarteen, kiertävän bookcrossing-kirjan!
Lue, journaloi ja vapauta uudelleen.

Journal Entry 6 by thy at Nurmijärvi, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, October 28, 2019
Thanks for the book, MiuM! I have read most of the Brunetti books, I think, but I did not know that Donna Leon has written other stories, looks interesing.

Journal Entry 7 by thy at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, December 07, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (12/7/2019 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Pikkujoulumiittiin

Journal Entry 8 by Delenna at Porvoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, December 08, 2019
Got this at the pre-xmas bc-meetup. I like Donna Leon's Brunetti, let's see it this is equally good...

Journal Entry 9 by Delenna at Porvoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, January 11, 2020
This book didn't captivate me. It was more boring than "intriguing". I became sceptical around page 100 but because Donna Leon's Brunetti-books had been good I gave it a while longer. Half way I realized this wasn't going to get any better. Mostly because nothing much happened really. Even the ending was lame.

Maybe it's because I'm not particularly interested in baroque music or the era. Maybe it's because DL tried to write something different and failed.