Moab is My Washpot

by Stephen Fry | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingAnneliswing of Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 4/15/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingAnneliswing from Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, April 15, 2016
426 pages
Amazon:
A number one bestseller in Britain, Stephen Fry's astonishingly frank, funny, wise memoir is the book that his fans everywhere have been waiting for. Since his PBS television debut in the Blackadder series, the American profile of this multitalented writer, actor and comedian has grown steadily, especially in the wake of his title role in the film Wilde, which earned him a Golden Globe nomination, and his supporting role in A Civil Action.

Fry has already given readers a taste of his tumultuous adolescence in his autobiographical first novel, The Liar, and now he reveals the equally tumultuous life that inspired it. Sent to boarding school at the age of seven, he survived beatings, misery, love affairs, carnal violation, expulsion, attempted suicide, criminal conviction and imprisonment to emerge, at the age of eighteen, ready to start over in a world in which he had always felt a stranger. One of very few Cambridge University graduates to have been imprisoned prior to his freshman year, Fry is a brilliantly idiosyncratic character who continues to attract controversy, empathy and real devotion.
---

Wikipedia:
Moab Is My Washpot (published 1997) is Stephen Fry’s autobiography, covering the first 20 years of his life. In the book, Fry is candid about his many weaknesses, including stealing, cheating and lying. The book covers some of the same ground as in Fry’s first novel, The Liar, published in 1991. In that work, public schoolboy Adrian Healey falls in love with a boy called Hugo Cartwright; in the autobiography, 14-year-old Fry becomes besotted with 13-year-old "Matthew Osborne".
Fry also writes about his older brother Roger, Bunce (the new boy at his prep school, Stouts Hill), Jo Wood (his best friend at Uppingham), and Oliver Derwent (a prefect who "seduces" Fry).

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, March 26, 2018
Quite a start for his life he had. The book can be listened on youtube at least at the time being read by Stephen Fry himself. I enjoyed listening to him as well as reading the book on paper.

This is my book #43 in the Reduce Mount TBR 2018 -challence by Dove-i-libri.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, April 01, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (4/1/2018 UTC) at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

This wishlist book is on its way to a new reader.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by wingkihaanwing at Laihia, Pohjanmaa / Österbotten Finland on Wednesday, April 04, 2018
Thank you, Annelis! I've enjoyed Fry's books in the past, I'm sure I will like this one too. :)