corner corner The Girl in the Spider's Web (Millennium, Bk 4)

The Girl in the Spider's Web (Millennium, Bk 4)
by David Lagercrantz | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingperryfranwing of Elk Grove, California USA on 4/6/2016

status (set by freezone): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Wednesday, April 06, 2016

The Girl in the Spider's Web - Millennium, Bk 4
Author: David Lagercrantz, George Goulding (Translator)

A Lisbeth Salander novel, continuing Stieg Larsson's Millennium Series. The troubled genius hacker and crusading journalist thrilled the world in 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo', 'The Girl Who Played with Fire', and 'The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest'. Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist return. She is the girl with the dragon tattoo—a genius hacker and uncompromising misfit. He is a crusading journalist whose championing of the truth often brings him to the brink of prosecution. Late one night, Blomkvist receives a phone call from a source claiming to have information vital to the United States. The source has been in contact with a young female superhacker—a hacker resembling someone Blomkvist knows all too well. The implications are staggering. Blomkvist, in desperate need of a scoop for Millennium, turns to Salander for help. She, as usual, has her own agenda. The secret they are both chasing is at the center of a tangled web of spies, cybercriminals, and governments around the world, and someone is prepared to kill to protect it. . .

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing at Elk Grove, California USA on Tuesday, October 17, 2017

I was a big fan of the Millennium series written by Stieg Larsson and was really sad to hear of his death when the third installment of the series was published. Then I heard the series would be continued by David Lagercrantz. I've had his first effort on my shelf for a while and decided I better read it because the next installment, The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye was just recently published in the US. For me, I thought Spider's Web was not quite the thriller as the previous books by Larsson, however, once the book got going, I really enjoyed it and would recommend it for those who enjoyed the original trilogy. The book starts out a little slowly with a lot of detail about computer hacking and industrial espionage. Lisbeth Salander doesn't show up until about a third into the story but once she does, I thought the story really took off. Mikael Blomkvist, who is on the brink of getting fired from Millennium Magazine, gets involved in a case involving a murdered scientist when he discovers that Salander also has an interest in the case. The scientist, Balder, has perfected an artificial intelligence program that holds the interest of a criminal organization as well as the NSA. When Balder is murdered, he leaves behind an autistic savant son who may be able to identify the killer. Salander gets involved in protecting the son and at the same time is being sought by a criminal group led by a mysterious female. But who is this person and why is she so interested in Salander? Can Salander and Blomkvist get to the bottom of why the criminal group and the NSA is so interested in the case?

The book also included a lot of information about savants which I found to be very interesting. It referenced a book titled The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat which I now want to read. Overall, I thought Lagercrantz did a good job of continuing where Larsson left off...I'm sure it was no easy task considering how popular the series became. Lagercrantz also left some loose ends at the end of the book which I'm hoping will be addressed in the next outing. Looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing at ollie1976's Surprise Small Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Friday, October 20, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (10/20/2017 UTC) at ollie1976's Surprise Small Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Adding to the Surprise Anything Goes Small Bookbox #2.

Journal Entry 4 by freezone at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, November 07, 2017

Haven't read any of this series. sometimes I feel that it's the middle of a series that shows you whether it's all worth reading. If this one is a slog, then the heck with it. Plus, I have gotten the impression that I would not like Stieg Larson's writing style, so I'll move right along to Mr. Lagercrantz.