My Neighbor Seki, 7

by Takuma Morishige | Graphic Novels |
ISBN: 1942993102 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 4/3/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, April 03, 2016
I enjoyed Volume 1 of this charming series about a very imaginative little boy and his classroom seatmate, who finds his antics very distracting! I ordered this volume as soon as I saw it was available, attracted by the detailed ship-model that Seki's hiding behind on the cover.

Lots more fun adventures here, with Rumi endlessly fascinated by his doings even when she tries to ignore him. And when she attempts to make suggestions about his latest project he "pretends not to hear" her - or so she believes, anyway; I think he lives in his own world most of the time and she's an irritant at best, but I doubt she'd look at it that way!

Interestingly, as the stories progress, there are more interactions between Rumi and Seki - though they often take the form of her (accidentally or deliberately) interfering with his plans and rousing his best angry-glance retorts. But to see how both kids let their imaginations roam is always entertaining and often hilarious.

Chapter 89 introduces another character - Seki's flicking burrs onto the back of another boy, and when the boy realizes this there's a burr-tossing battle - which Seki loses! I admit I found it refreshing to see that the kids can interact with other people in the real world - even if they're still ignoring the teacher and disrupting the class {grin}.

Filming his own monster movie, experimenting with art styles, juggling toy sheep, annoying Rumi... Seki has plenty of fun here!

[There is an anime series based on the books, though I haven't seen it; I think there's a live-action version too. The TV Tropes page for the series has some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Boston Common in Boston, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (3/8/2017 UTC) at Boston Common in Boston, Massachusetts USA

I plan to leave this book on a bench near the "Make Way for Ducklings" statue in Boston Garden this afternoon; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2017 TV Series release challenge. ***