Black Horses for the King

by Anne McCaffrey | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by keksimonsteri of Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on 3/30/2016
Journal Entry 1 by keksimonsteri from Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Wednesday, March 30, 2016
I've had this book for more than ten years, but I have to admit that I've never read it. A friend bought the book from a local science fiction and fantasy bookshop in 2004, and gave it to me sometime after reading. I think her opinion was that it was "okay", but she didn't sound too enthusiastic about it. Sadly, the friend passed away a couple of years ago. She wrote her name and date in pencil inside the front cover, and I haven't had the heart to erase it.

Well, such is the history of this book. I've decided to give it away, and it's now about to start it's Bookcrossing journey. I hope it will be enjoyed by future readers!

Journal Entry 2 by keksimonsteri at BookMooch.com, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, March 31, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (3/31/2016 UTC) at BookMooch.com, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases

Sent to a fellow bookmoocher / bookcrosser in the UK.

Journal Entry 3 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 12, 2016
Received, thank you. Anne McCaffrey is one of my favourite authors and I'm a HUGE fan of her Pern books. So I've decided to start collecting her other books too. And as I have a horse too, this could be perfect!

Journal Entry 4 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 24, 2020
McCaffrey - one of my favourite authors - tick.

Horses - my passion - tick.

And completely unexpected - King Arthur - a favourite subject - tick.

This little book had a lot to live up to, but I thought it was brilliant. McCaffrey goes down the realism route with Arthur - a British war leader just after the fall of the Roman Empire, seeking to rid the Saxons from his territory. But what he needs is horses big enough to carry his men into battle and travels abroad to find the biggest and the best. Enter Galwyn, a bullied cabin boy with a love of horses who gets caught up in events as Arthur heads towards his first battle.

The horses definitely take centre stage here and I loved the fact that this is also a story about the beginning of farriery and the invention of the horse shoe. You can imagine the incredulity as people started nailing bits of metal to a horses foot!

I'm not sure if this is aimed at adults or children, as it is quite simplified for an adult story, but I'm not sure if a child would follow it all. Still, no matter, I loved it.

Released 1 mo ago (1/4/2021 UTC) at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

My choice for the Favourite Book of 2020 Roundabout.

1 Dark-Draco UK
9 Icila France
10 Paulanni Finland
11 grovalskii Germany
12 Fifna Netherlands

Journal Entry 6 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, January 08, 2021
Thank you. My husband saw it and said something along the lines of “ Ooooh good, haven’t read that one!” I’m going to have to read it under the covers! I love her dragons too.

Journal Entry 7 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 19, 2021
Felt like a children’s book to me. It was an interesting read and I agree with dark-draco that the introduction of the black Libyans and the early days of farriery was fascinating.

Journal Entry 8 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Journal Entry 9 by wingCross-patchwing at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Thursday, January 21, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (1/21/2021 UTC) at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Going to the next participant.

Journal Entry 10 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, January 25, 2021
Arrived today. Too many books arriving at once!!!