The Angels of Darkness

by Caleb Carr | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Athensbc2016 of Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on 3/26/2016
Journal Entry 1 by Athensbc2016 from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Saturday, March 26, 2016
In The Angel of Darkness, Caleb Carr brings back the vivid world of his bestselling The Alienist but with a twist: this story is told by the former street urchin Stevie Taggert, whose rough life has given him wisdom beyond his years. Thus New York City, and the groundbreaking alienist Dr. Kreizler himself, are seen anew.

It is June 1897. A year has passed since Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, a pioneer in forensic psychiatry, tracked down the brutal serial killer John Beecham with the help of a team of trusted companions and a revolutionary application of the principles of his discipline. Kreizler and his friends--high-living crime reporter John Schuyler Moore; indomitable, derringer-toting Sara Howard; the brilliant (and bickering) detective brothers Marcus and Lucius Isaacson; powerful and compassionate Cyrus Montrose; and Stevie Taggert, the boy Kreizler saved from a life of street crime--have returned to their former pursuits and tried to forget the horror of the Beecham case. But when the distraught wife of a Spanish diplomat begs Sara's aid, the team reunites to help find her kidnapped infant daughter. It is a case fraught with danger, since Spain and the United States are on the verge of war.

Once again, Caleb Carr proves his brilliant ability to re-create the past, both high life and low. As the horror unfolds, Delmonico's still serves up wondrous meals, and a summer trip to the elegant gambling parlors of Saratoga provides precious keys to the murderer's past. At the same time, we go on revealing journeys into Stevie's New York, a place where poor and neglected children--then as now--turn to crime and drugs at shockingly early ages. Peppered throughout are characters taken from real life and rendered with historical vigor, including suffragist Elizabeth Cady Stanton; painter Albert Pinkham Ryder; and Clarence Darrow, who thunders for the defense in a tense courtroom drama during which the sanctity of American motherhood itself is put on trial. Fast-paced and chilling, The Angel of Darkness is a tour de force, a novel of modern evil in old New York.

Hello, I'm a travelling book!!!
I've been to many places and now I am visiting the

BookCrossing Anniversary Convention in Athens.

logosite-t

Take me with you, read me and then please release me again, so that I can make new friends and continue my journey.

Journal Entry 3 by TIFFANY1972 at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Sunday, January 29, 2017
Το "τσάκωσε" η SandraDaCampo από τη συνάντηση της κοπής πίτας των Αθηναίων Bookcrossers :-)

1/10/2017: She released it, because her son found that reading English books was a boring activity for him...

Journal Entry 4 by Lubiette at Kallithea, Attica Greece on Sunday, October 29, 2017
Caught at the meet-up of October.

Christmas Carols 2018