corner corner Cat's Eye

Cat's Eye
by Margaret Atwood | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingStoepbrakwing of Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on 3/22/2016

status (set by Stoepbrak): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingStoepbrakwing from Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Synopsis (credit: back cover)

Elaine Risley, a painter, returns to Toronto to find herself overwhelmed by her past. Memories of childhood — unbearable betrayals and cruelties — surface relentlessly, forcing her to confront the spectre of Cordelia, once her best friend and tormentor, who has haunted her for forty years.

Shortlist: Man Booker Prize for Fiction 1989.
On the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die List.

(Bought second-hand at Vredehoek Library.)

Journal Entry 2 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Thursday, June 29, 2017

This book has been on my shelf for a long time and I admit to have expected more of it. The author succeeds with chilling accuracy to describe how victims are affected by bullying and how their own judgement of what is going on is blurred.

Equally well she describes how being a victim to bullying often transforms into bullying behaviour later on in life.

Only later did I find out that the book is based on the life of painter Elaine Risley. Not that that changed anything for me. I'm glad I read the book but it somehow never achieved an 8 in my mind.

"Most mothers worry when their daughters reach adolescence but I was the opposite. I relaxed, I sighed with relief. Little girls are cute and small only to adults. To one another they are not cute. They are life-sized."