The Vesuvius Club (Lucifer Box 1)

by Mark Gatiss | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingrainbow3wing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 3/20/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingrainbow3wing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, March 20, 2016
From www.fantasticfiction.com London on the 1890s. It is a world that seems familiar to us: Hansom cabs rattling through fog-choked streets, gin-swilling aesthetes rubbing shoulders with movers and shakers of British Imperial grandeur. And beneath the confident facade, naturally, an underworld of sinister Tongs, crazed anarchists, murder, and seething vice.

So much for the familiar picture of comforting Victoriana. But this is the world of Lucifer Box and nothing is quite as it first appears. Lucifer Box is the most fashionable portrait painter of his day: trading bon mots with the best of them and ruthlessly exploiting his talent and dandified beauty to enter every level of this intriguing society. From his elegant townhouse at Number 9 Downing Street (well, someone has to live there...) to his vast studio in Chelsea, from the snow-choked streets of Tsarist St Petersburg to the sun-bleached hotels of Mentone, life is one long, dazzling party.

Of course, leading a double life is terribly fashionable and Lucifer Box is not to be outdone. For what Box's fashionable circle would never believe is that their witty, cheerfully bisexual friend is also a secret agent...

THE VESUVIUS CLUB (Lucifer Box 1) by MARK GATISS (2005) | ISBN: 9780743483797 | Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK
I’m registering this book on behalf of another BookCrosser who'll be along to add a journal entry when there's time.

Journal Entry 2 by Lucybug65 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (3/20/2016 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

This book is still in the hands of rainbow3. Mark Gatiss does not disappoint with this book. It's light and fluffy, completely frivolous and amoral and an absolute delight to read! Very dark and witty. A great read!

Released 1 yr ago (4/6/2018 UTC) at Post Office, Will's Toy Shop CULTS in Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom

Tart macabre humour pervades throughout and in a midnight dark tone say orchids dripping poison? And utterly delightful it is too. Too languidly louche, for words! Highly delightful! An excessiveness of roiling intrigue and a tongue in cheek wryness that is deftly promoted by black as night ink from the sharp pen of the incomparable Mr Gatiss.

So suited by natural inclination to the circumspect world of counter surveillance Lucifer Box becomes embroiled, at the behest of a mentor, in the discrete and dangerous world of government intelligence. Plunged into a scheme to break a dastardly plot Lucifer finds investigating as exhilarating as it is lethal. Simply a treat!
---------------------

At last this is in the hands of its next reader after I skipped through it in February 2017, so many ages ago, and I had meant that it land in this honorary BookCrosser’s in-tray long before now.

Posted, Fri 06 Apr 2018, last week to a reader in Somerset, and now arrived on one of his TBR piles, I await his reaction with baited breath! (OK I have THE DEVIL IN AMBER second in series to this somewhere, I think…? I’ll add in apologies here, in case I did as I suspect, and posted the second book in series before this one, but then again it could still be under a humongous book pile in the castle library!)

Journal Entry 4 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 27, 2018
Arrived some time in April but so much has happened since then that I forget exactly when. Sorry.

Correct, this is somewhere on a Mr Flutterbies9 tbr. However, as he likes Mark Gatiss writing (and sometimes acting too), this may not be on there too long!

Journal Entry 5 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Monday, November 19, 2018
Mr Flutterbies9 read this quite quickly. He said that he found it very easy to read but could find no likeable characters in it as such. He thought that there was no real depth to the somewhat far fetched tale, yet he could see how it would translate to a dramatised script and thought it betrayed Mark Gatiss's writing background. He said there was nothing to condemn the book, and he enjoyed it for what it was.

I finished reading this book at the weekend after Mr Flutterbies9 passed it over to me. I have to agree that it is very light and easy to read, yet completely frivolous indeed. Louche was the recurring word that came to me as I was reading the deftly surreal connivings of this strange world and the indolent manner of the (hero / antihero) characters that inhabited it. The easy spells of near 'normality' in his world were soon ousted by more mysteriously dark happenings. Very recognisable Mark Gatiss writing and I enjoyed it too.

Will have to search the tbr piles here and see if the second book is actually here but I do not recall it and have not journalled it (but that is not to say that it is not here!).

Journal Entry 6 by Flutterbies9 at Book Walk, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Sunday, April 14, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (4/15/2019 UTC) at Book Walk, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Released to rainbow3 for a book walk.

Released 1 mo ago (4/21/2019 UTC) at -- Wild Released somewhere in Edinburgh in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

THE VESUVIUS CLUB by MARK GATTIS is to be left somewhere ‘in-the-wild’ in Edinburgh on Sunday 21st April which is INTERNATIONAL BOOKCROSSING DAY 2019. You might have found this book beside an outdoor sculpture; on a window sill; at a bus-stop or perhaps you as a happy reader were handed this directly while you were in Central Edinburgh!!! One of a five strong book parcel from a sister BookCrosser – Flutterbies9 – which travelled here to be given away on a book release walk. :-)
---------------------

Hello book finder, if you aren't familiar with the BookCrossing world of TRAVELLING books – WELCOME!

Feel free to keep this book it is yours to do with as you wish, read it, or pass it on to keep it travelling. You can leave notes anonymously or if you journal this book as a member, you will hear from the book on its travels. If you do join quoting the name of the Flutterbies9 as your referrer would make her day. Thank you and HAPPY READING!