The Priest

by Thomas M. Disch | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by anathema-device of Graz, Steiermark Austria on 3/18/2016
Journal Entry 1 by anathema-device from Graz, Steiermark Austria on Friday, March 18, 2016
Nice big hardcover edition. Let's look into this then...

Journal Entry 2 by anathema-device at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Tuesday, March 22, 2016
This was a lot more "classic horror" than my usual fare. The main plotline deals with a Catholic priest who molests altar boys and calls it seduction. At one point he is being blackmailed into getting a satanic tattoo, which sort of results in him time-travelling to medieval France, where he is a bishop - while that bishop takes over his body in our time. The story is so bonkers I couldn't suspend my disbelief. It is also quite violent and awful, especially when the "contemporary" timeline starts to revolve around this illegal "retreat for unwed mothers", which is essentially a prison and torture chamber. The main group of characters is portrayed as essentially evil (they're all rapists, murderers and/or practising incest, as implied about the German siblings). Some others are essentially victims. And this is repeated throughout history. At the end, Disch even attempts a plot-twist or two, but they didn't knock my socks off, either. And even if you dress it up as time-travel and/or insanity, I guess real-world based horror like rape, torture and murder will never get me to like a book. I'm more on the side of composite monsters and aliens and tentacles.

Released 5 yrs ago (3/22/2016 UTC) at Bücherschrank "Lend-Pavillon" Volksgarten in Graz, Steiermark Austria

Hello! BookCrossing is an online community of book lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. We are curious to see where our books will travel and how their readers like them. Kindly make a journal entry to let us know this book has found a new reader.

Feel free to read and keep this book, pass it on to a friend, or leave it back on the shelf or somewhere else for the next reader. If you journal this book as a member, you will hear from future readers as it keeps on travelling the world. Happy reading!