The Secret to Hummingbird Cake

by Celeste Fletcher McHale | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingbooklady331wing of Cape Coral, Florida USA on 3/16/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Wednesday, March 16, 2016
If you are new to BookCrossing and found this book and this site, Welcome!

Journal Entry 2 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, March 24, 2016
This book disappointed me. I found the three women acting like teenagers, their behaviors were similar to non-believers. In fact, the reader is never sure if any of the characters are believers. The cover and title caught my attention.
The topics in this fiction book were about the bond of friendship overall. But in the meanwhile, they deal with poorly with topics such as adultery, cancer, and marriage issues.

I really wanted to really like this book, I would prefer some words to never find a place in Christian fiction. Sadly, this book contained a couple of "A" words, "D" word, and a few other things that were more character issues that were not really addressed. I found the book different than I expected.

This book leaves me with mixed feelings. I liked some things about it, but there were at least an equal amount that I did not like. The characters were likeable enough, but they acted as if they were still in high school. One character seemed to be a Christian, yet it seemed to me that there was too much leeway about how to get to heaven, when there is really only one way-Jesus! Sometimes sin was called sin, but other times it was like sin was no big deal. The author made it like the characters who didn't really follow Jesus were going to heaven anyway. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think that every book written by a Christian has to be "preachy" or give the plan of salvation, but I do think that if you're writing about heaven, you need to tell the truth about how to get there!
I was disappointed in the book. I was hoping for better from the author and publisher. Also, on a minor note, the author should have included the recipe for Hummingbird Cake.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbooklady331wing at Grace Thrift Store in Cape Coral, Florida USA on Sunday, October 30, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (11/2/2016 UTC) at Grace Thrift Store in Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! For The "THE" Release Challenge 2016