Hocus Pocus

by Kurt Vonnegut | Humor |
Registered by slipperbunny of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 3/9/2016
Journal Entry 1 by slipperbunny from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, March 09, 2016
"Eugene Debs Hartke, ex-Vietnam vet, ex-college professor, current inmate of Tarkington State Reformatory, awaits his trial and probable death from TB. How did he get there? Via numerous absurd twists of fate which he now narrates on scraps of paper found about the place. Killer of men, romancer of women, compulsive list-maker, Eugene is just one more victim of the world's hocus pocus."

This was my first time reading Vonnegut and I must say that I liked Hocus Pocus. It's not a happy book, but quite relevant right now. And I love the last sentence.

Journal Entry 2 by slipperbunny at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (8/3/2016 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Going as a rabck to Shahrun. Enjoy. =)

Journal Entry 3 by Shahrun at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, August 13, 2016
Thank you so much for this surprise RABCK!!! I think when I added it to my wish list i thought it was the book of the film (about witches) lol. But this looks much more fascinating. I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 4 by Shahrun at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, September 07, 2018
I decided I wanted to read this book purely based on the title and with the assumption that this book was about witches And they had made that film of it. How wrong could a girl be, it was more like a futuristic, slightly dystopian mix of A Prayer for Owen Meany meets The Man in The High Castle - neither of which I enjoyed - but some how this blend did agree with me.

I enjoyed the little snippet format. I loved the random nature of the tale. I was a bit confused by the ending, the Math and lack of definite conclusion on his guilt. Nor could I calculate his Numbers. I could never quite decide how truthful the narrator was being and how much was just hocus pocus. Also wondering how much truth was in the book. Some very cleverly submitted ideas about the workings of the world. So glad I did pick this one up.

Journal Entry 5 by Shahrun at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, September 07, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (9/7/2018 UTC) at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom

Finally posting this off to its next reader. So sorry for the mega delay in getting it to you. Happy reading.

Journal Entry 6 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 13, 2018
This was waiting for me with a lovely postcard when I got in from work. Many thanks for sharing. I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 7 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 22, 2019
In Hartke's America most of the country's companies and institutions has been sold to foreigners, who feel like invaders in business suits, and what is left is broken down and depleted where black markets and racial and social inequalities are epidemic. On the face of it this could be seen as a cynical and sarcastic critique of his own country. Yet it isn't totally pessimistic as there are also glimpses of compassion.

I felt that Hartke was excellent characterisation. He wasn't without his faults but he does have some redeeming traits. "My own feeling is that if adultery is wickedness then so is food. Both make me feel so much better afterward." Therefore he comes across as being very human a fact enhanced by the almost conversational style to the writing. The story is told with shifting timelines, is erratic at times and occasionally goes off on tangents. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book feeling a mixture of emotions whilst doing so, some times laughing at others cringing and as such feel that it deserves to be more widely read.

Journal Entry 8 by 4evagreen at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 05, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (12/5/2019 UTC) at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Going out as a Brucie bonus. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by kingfan30 at -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Saturday, December 07, 2019