Death in Zanzibar & Death in Kenya

by M.M. Kaye | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingperryfranwing of Elk Grove, California USA on 3/14/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Monday, March 14, 2016

In DEATH IN ZANZIBAR, a sequel to TRADE WIND, Dany Ashton and the other guests at her stepfather's house learn that one of them is a desperate and ruthless murderer. The air of gaiety and nonchalance that opened the house party fades into growing terror, as the threat of further violence flowers in the scented air of Zanzibar.

DEATH IN KENYA unfolds in a remote and dangerous region still recovering from the Mau-Mau revolt. Victoria Caryll accepts a position at her aunt's estate, though it means having once again to see her former fiance, Eden DeBrett. It also means entering a household deep in shock from one murder--and paralyzed by the threat of more to come.

"Kaye stirs mystery with romance in these two fascinating novels."

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing at Wishlist RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Monday, March 14, 2016

Released 5 yrs ago (3/14/2016 UTC) at Wishlist RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Wishlist tag heading to tabby-cat-owner in AZ. I remembered this was on your wishlist so when I saw this copy at a thrift store, I scooped it up. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingtabby-cat-ownerwing at Phoenix, Arizona USA on Wednesday, March 23, 2016
I received this in the mail from perryfran of North Ogden, Utah who tagged me with this book in the wishlist tag game.

Thank you so much for tagging me with this book, perryfran. I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 4 by wingtabby-cat-ownerwing at Bellingham, Washington USA on Tuesday, October 20, 2020
I just finished reading "Death in Kenya". It was not a fun book to read. There were a lot of characters and their life trying to run estates in Kenya looked awful to me. The book was first published in 1958. British colonials were trying to have a good life running large estates in Kenya. Apparently, prior to the fictional events that happen in this book, there was a Mau Mau revolt that was often referred to. Looking at the events sixty years later makes it all quite unromantic to me. I am glad that I don't have to go out and shoot animals to get food for my dogs. The book didn't really grab me until the last twenty pages of the book when it looked like the lovely young Victoria might get murdered, but here comes the spoiler, she was saved at the last minute by someone who had been lying in wait to kill the true murderer. Also, Victoria was invited to visit the estate. She did not accept a position. I hate it when the blurbs on back covers or on dust jackets give wrong information.

Journal Entry 5 by wingtabby-cat-ownerwing at Bellingham, Washington USA on Tuesday, February 02, 2021
This book was much more interesting than "Death in Kenya". I was pulled into the mystery from the beginning, as the lovely young Dany Ashton found herself being framed for murder, but she manages to elude the evil person who is responsible for all of this. We don't find out who this evil person is until the end of the book. The story involves a treasure map and undiscovered treasure. The descriptions of Zanzibar were interesting.

This book was left in the Little Free Library. It was released for the March 2021 Oh, the Places We Can Go release challenge.