The Stones Cry Out

by Hikaru Okuizumi | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 3/2/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Wednesday, March 02, 2016
I purchased this book at the Friends of the Library book store in Rockville, Maryland. I am sort of in a quest for books of fiction by well regarded Japanese authors. This book caught my eye although I've never read anything else by this author.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, February 10, 2018
I'm about to read this book for the February 2018 TIOLI challenge on LibraryThing to read a book with something you love in the title (stones).

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, February 11, 2018
This was a mesmerizing, but confusing tale. It's the story of stones. Manase was book store owner whose main interest was geology and stones. This interest started at the time he had been a soldier in Leyte (Philippines) and encountered a dying lance corporal who was a stone expert. After the war, Manase married and had two children, but only one of them was interested in stones.

A strange part of this stone story was a scene that kept replaying throughout the book. We don't always know exactly what happened in each scene, but we do know that each time it took place in a cave with a light in the distance. Various people entered this cave, resulting in different outcomes at the end of each cave scene. Which scene was the true story? Which scenes were hallucinations? Were any of them true?

Beyond that, we experienced the disintegration of a family: Manase, his wife, and their two sons. How did that happen? More importantly, why?

Stones are a fascinating feature of this novel. They brought back memories of when I was a kid and used to collect rocks. I took a hammer and smashed them open to see what was inside to try to identify them. I loved reading about how the older son Haraoki would work with his father on collecting and identifying stones. That part of the story I found quite heartwarming.

I'm releasing this book for...

*** The 2018 4 Elements Release Challenge hosted by Firegirl. The book title or author's name contains the word STONE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!