Brooklyn

by Colm Toibin | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by flewry of Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on 4/9/2017
Journal Entry 1 by flewry from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Sunday, April 09, 2017
I didn't really see what all the fuss was about this book. It is the story of a young woman who immigrates to the US from Ireland. She works hard but lives quietly without any real conflicts or stresses, and everything about her life is mostly worked out for her without her ever having to do much about it. Tragedy strikes, and she is finally forced to make a decision, but because she didn't actually have a real choice, it isn't much of a decision. The end. (Vague I know, but I don't want to give anything away!) Eilis may also be the blandest main character I've ever encountered. She just goes along with whatever and never actually seems to want anything or take a stand.

On the positive side, it's well-written and not a difficult read. I picked it up at the Tampa Airport in July of 2016 during a longer layover than I was anticipating. It kept me interested and amused for the duration of my travels. I've never had the experience of moving halfway across the world, but even just having moved to a new state, there were aspects that resonated with me. The feeling of almost not being able to remember what your life was like before, to feel it has become irrelevant, only to have it come upon you in a flash, and the longing to "go home" so powerful that it leaves you almost unable to breathe - only to remember that you are home and this is real life.

Little Free Library, Richfield