Staring At The Sun: Being at peace with your own mortality: Overcoming the Dread of Death

by IRVIN D. YALOM | Philosophy |
Registered by nice-cup-of-tea of Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on 2/22/2016
Journal Entry 1 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Monday, February 22, 2016
Amazing book! Full of philosophy and ideas about living and death. Strangely comforting.

Amazon review
Over the past quarter century Irvin Yalom has established himself as the world's leading group psychotherapist. In STARING AT THE SUN, he explores how the knowledge of our own mortality affects the unconscious mind of every human being. Tackling the effect of mankind's fear of death - both conscious and unconscious - on life and how we might live it, Yalom explains how we find ourselves in need of the comfort of therapy.

At age 70 and facing his own fear of death, which he discusses in a special afterword, Dr Yalom tackles his toughest subject yet and finds it to be the root cause of patients' fears, stresses and depression. If therapists are to deliver 'the gift of therapy', they must confront the realities of life for themselves and their practice, as must we all.