Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: The First Death

What'cha reading?
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/8/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, June 08, 2016
I found this fair-condition hardcover at a local Savers. It's a graphic novel adaptation of an "Anita Blake" story, and while I admit that I rather tired of the original series once it changed from "kickass necromancer fights crime" to "Sexy MarySue heroine sleeps with Every Single Being In The Story", I thought this book looked interesting.

Later: Hooray! It turns out that this is a prequel, showing how Anita first met studly vampire Jean-Claude, and the early days of her working relationship with icy hitman Edward. We also get to see her having serious trouble with crime scenes - sure, she can raise corpses without a qualm, but seeing freshly-massacred humans disturbs her profoundly. (She's going to get over that all too soon, I'm afraid.) Anyway, this story has her called in to consult on the serial killings of young boys, to find out whether the killer might be a vampire or not. She's licensed to execute vampires on an as-needed (even an at-will) basis, but isn't used to working within the limitations of the police force, and there are some ups and downs as she and the cops figure out where to draw the lines.

There are some very effective scenes here, and while the story wraps up a bit too hastily for my taste it does touch on many characters and plot-points that will become the basis of the series.

The artwork's stylized, not always as evocative of the characters as I'd have liked but still good. And there are some bonuses, including an alternate cover showing Anita backed by a freshly-reanimated collection of Marvel superheroes {wry grin}. [See also Marvel Zombies; I don't know if this cover was a direct reference to that or not, but it tickled me.]

The book also features an extensive background section, with articles about all the major and most of the minor characters, a nice bonus.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the series and its various adaptations.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, June 10, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (6/10/2016 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to the Vampire bookbox, which will be on its way soon. Hope someone enjoys it!

Journal Entry 3 by loriped at Keizer, Oregon USA on Saturday, June 18, 2016
Selecting from the Vampire BookBox. I and a friend will love reading this book. Thanks for including it.

Journal Entry 4 by loriped at Keizer, Oregon USA on Monday, August 28, 2017
I finished this one some time ago so I'm adding it to Emmejo's Otherworldly Bookbox.

Journal Entry 5 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Monday, October 02, 2017
Selected from the Round III Otherworldly Bookbox.

Journal Entry 6 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Saturday, October 07, 2017
This is my first foray into the Anita Blake novels.
The story itself is pretty short. Around half of the book is in-depth character/etc. descriptions. If you haven't read the other novels, the descriptions have some spoilers in them, so be aware of that. And the descriptions are in tiny print! So, don't do as I did and try to read it at the end of the day when your eyes are already tired! Hahaha!

Journal Entry 7 by wingSpatialwing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (4/10/2018 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Selected to travel with the Round IV Otherworldly Bookbox.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

Congratulations! You've found a traveling book!
See where I've been and track where I go by creating an account and writing a journal entry for this book.
Wish to remain anonymous? Then no need to create an account, just write a journal entry letting us know where you found the book and review it if you like.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

Journal Entry 8 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, June 03, 2018
I have read the first Anita Blake book and really enjoyed it. I was happy to see this in the Otherworldly Bookbox.

Journal Entry 9 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Monday, December 09, 2019
I enjoyed the illustrations and storyline. Found a someone who is a fan of Anita Blake. I am going to send this off to this wonderful Bookcrosser, as a Christmas present.

Journal Entry 10 by book_drunkard at Osgood, Indiana USA on Wednesday, December 18, 2019
Thank you so much for "feeding" my fangy addiction.
This is going near the top of Mt. Toobie.
I might decide to ring in the New Year with a little *bite*.
:D