Ghost Country

Where's this book been?
by Patrick Lee | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 0062044826 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/7/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, September 07, 2016
I found this fair-condition softcover at the Lucky Dog thrift shop in Nashua, and nabbed it for another release copy. (It's a sequel to The Breach, but can be read on its own.)

The series is about a mysterious time-portal that reveals that the planet's population is doomed unless the heroes can figure out what caused the future-catastrophe. "The future is bones and ruins - and it's closer than you think."

I enjoyed this book very much. It's fast-moving, and manages to suggest all sorts of interesting back-story, behind-the-scenes elements without spending a lot of time on the details. While it is clear that the elements of the previous book bear heavily on this one, I found that the information I needed was inserted very deftly and without my feeling that I was missing out. And while there is certainly some amount of conspiracy-theory going on, it wasn't too intrusive - the balance between adventure, action, growing dread, mystery, and potential disaster was managed very well.

The premise: some time in the late '70s a mysterious "breach" opened in a remote part of Wyoming. A region surrounding this anomaly was declared a sovereign state, off-limits and top secret. We learn later in the story that strange items have been appearing through this breach at regular intervals over the years, some of them with amazing powers, others whose purpose is still unknown. One particular artifact drives the plot of this book: it allows people to see some 70 years into the future, and what they find there tells them that life on Earth is doomed - unless they can work out what caused the disaster and prevent it from kicking in. And they have only a few weeks in which to manage this...

While we don't learn much about the suspected origins of the Breach or the artifacts, the characters all seem convinced that it's some alien technology. I found myself wondering whether the whole thing was some kind of intelligence test on the part of an alien civilization - or if it was a kind of garbage-dump or secure-disposal facility for the aliens' too-risky, no-longer-wanted items... Hard to say, but fun to speculate about.

The story itself had, perhaps, a few too many last-second escapes - and I do mean "last second" - but I can see the temptation to drive it that hard. [And it would make a dandy scene if filmed!] At first I thought I spotted some serious plot-holes, but the author surprised me pleasantly; the things I wondered about were actual in-story elements that had explanations, and made me feel very clever for noticing them {wry grin}.

Stories with time-travel elements can get a bit twisty, and this is no exception. It resolves satisfactorily enough, but leaves plenty of room for more books, and I admit I'll be interested to see what happens next.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Park and Ride (at Exit 2) bookshelf in Salem, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (10/5/2016 UTC) at Park and Ride (at Exit 2) bookshelf in Salem, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the book-swap shelf inside the bus terminal at around 2:30; hope the finder enjoys it!

*** Released as part of the 2016 Spooktacular Halloween release challenge. ***