corner corner The Piano Maker

The Piano Maker
by Kurt Palka | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingstarrdustwing of Cookstown, Ontario Canada on 2/12/2016

status (set by Dove-i-Libri): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingstarrdustwing from Cookstown, Ontario Canada on Friday, February 12, 2016

From the front cover inside flap:"On a winter day in 1933, Helene Giroux arrives in a small town on the French shore of Nova Scotia. She wears good city clothes and drives an elegant car; everything else she owns in the world fits into a suitcase and a trunk in the back seat. She explores the town, and in the church discovers a fine old piano, a Molnar. She knows just how fine it is, for her family manufactured these pianos in France for three generations before the Great War changed everything."

Journal Entry 2 by wingstarrdustwing at Cookstown, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 14, 2016

Starting to read this book today.

Journal Entry 3 by wingstarrdustwing at Cookstown, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, August 23, 2016

I was engaged in this story right from the very first page through to the last sentence. It is beautifully written and the mystery of Helene Giroux is gradually unravelled, page by page.

Journal Entry 4 by wingstarrdustwing at Cookstown, Ontario Canada on Saturday, September 17, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (9/17/2016 UTC) at Cookstown, Ontario Canada

Passed this book on to my sister, Maranlin as I'm sure she'll enjoy it based on her love of music and Nova Scotia.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 5 by wingMaranlinwing at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, September 17, 2016

Received this surprise book today from my sister, starrdust. Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 6 by wingMaranlinwing at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, October 09, 2017

At first I did not find this story all that interesting. I did not like the character Nathan, and perhaps this has something to do with my initial disinterest in the book. However, I was still compelled to keep reading, intrigued by the mystery of Helene. The last section picked up a bit as the mystery unfolded. She is a French woman who has certainly led an interesting life, travelling and living in many different places throughout the world. By the end of the story, all the questions the reader has regarding Helene's past are answered and loose ends tied up.

Journal Entry 7 by wingMaranlinwing at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, February 06, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (2/6/2018 UTC) at Burlington, Ontario Canada

This book was mailed today to Dove-i-Libri as her choice from the General Literature VBB. I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 8 by wingDove-i-Libriwing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Thursday, March 01, 2018

Rec'd this book from bookcrosser Maranlin in Canada as part of Round 19 of Bookstogive's General Literature VBB (Link).

Thank you so much for sending it along. I don't know when I'll get to read it, but I'll be sure to share it after I do!