The Kon-Tiki Expedition

by Thor Heyerdahl | Travel | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingzimortwing of Gjøvik, Oppland fylke Norway on 2/5/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingzimortwing from Gjøvik, Oppland fylke Norway on Friday, February 05, 2016
I got this book together with 8 boxes of books from a friend of my husband. I think it is a great book, but I have seen the movie. I probably got a Norwegian copy in the house somewhere, so can read that one sometime in the future. This I'll bring to the convention in Oslo 2017.

Kon-Tiki is the record of an astonishing adventure across the Pacific Ocean. Intrigued by Polynesian folklore, biologist Thor Heyerdahl suspected that the South Sea Islands had been settled by an ancient race from thousands of miles to the east. He decided to prove his theory by building a boat using the materials that would have been available to those pre-Columbian sailors and duplicating their legendary voyage.
On April 28, 1947, Heyerdahl and five other adventurers sailed from Peru on a raft built from balsa wood, bamboo, and hemp. After three months and 4,300 nautical miles on the open sea they sighted land--the Polynesian island of Puka Puka.

Released 2 yrs ago (4/21/2017 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention Oslo 2017 in St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway

This book will be released at the Bookcrossing Convention Oslo 2017.

Journal Entry 3 by wingrahar109wing at Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway on Friday, April 21, 2017
After the visit to the Kon-Tiki museum yesterday, how could I resist this book!

Journal Entry 4 by wingrahar109wing at Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, May 17, 2018
Having seen the raft when visiting the museum, it was fascinating to read the account of the voyage. I was filled with admiration for the men who risked their lives doing this.

Journal Entry 5 by wingrahar109wing at Ipswich BC Unconvention in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 02, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (10/6/2018 UTC) at Ipswich BC Unconvention in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

On the book buffet.

Hello!
And if you do choose to join, please consider using me, rahar109, as your referring member.
Happy Bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 6 by wingWillCaxtonwing at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Thursday, October 18, 2018
One of several books gleaned from the book buffet to send up North to the Isle of Lewis for releases around the theme of the sea, nature, countryside etc.

Journal Entry 7 by wingBookAmblerwing at Isle of Lewis, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, December 20, 2018
Received this book within a lovely, themed RABCK parcel from WillCaxton - thank you very much! So sorry about the delay in journalling.

As someone who looks across the sea to Newfoundland (well, kind of!) I think this could be fascinating book. I'll be reading over the winter (hopefully) and releasing in the spring (definitely) once The Season begins.

Released 3 wks ago (6/26/2019 UTC) at Mealasta Information Stones in Isle of Lewis, Scotland United Kingdom

This book didn't make it onto the reading pile so it's time to move on. Have to confess that the many highlighted paragraphs (why?) were somewhat offputting!

Left at the BookCrossing Stones on an overcast, light breeze day with a risk of midges.

20150614-P1000236 Mealasta Information Stones

Happy Travels, little book :)

Journal Entry 9 by Siobhanimages at -- Somewhere in Scotland, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 26, 2019
Found in Isle of Lewis
Apparition was left there four hours ago!!