The Infinite Sea: The Second Book of the 5th Wave

by Rick Yancey | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 1101996986 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 2/11/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, February 11, 2016
I found this fair-condition paperback on the Tyngsboro MA post office book swap shelf. I read The Fifth Wave recently and enjoyed it, so I nabbed this sequel, to see what happens next.

Turns out things get considerably darker, which is tricky as they were already pretty bleak! Here, the ragtag bunch of misfits who survived the last book are doing their best to continue to survive, but the enemy is very, very clever - and it isn't long before the party is split, sacrifices are made, secrets are revealed (or are they just very clever lies?)... Yeah.

There are some pretty intense and very disturbing scenes, including the use of very young children as unwitting suicide bombers - something that's all the more upsetting when current news broadcasts feature real-life suicide bombings. And the mind games between the Big Bad and one of our heroines made me squirm... So the story's quite effective, but I admit I'm not enjoying the place it's taking me to. That said, I really want to know what the next book will tell us!

[There's a TV Tropes page on the book which has some entertaining tidbits.]

Released 5 yrs ago (3/31/2016 UTC) at Hannaford Supermarket charity-sale bookshelf in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I plan to donate this to the ongoing charity-sale bookshelves inside Hannaford's. [They sell donated books for low prices, with the proceeds going to various charities.] Hope the buyer enjoys the book!

*** Released as part of the 2016 Four Elements release challenge. ***