Ru: A Novel

by Kim Thúy | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1608198987 Global Overview for this book
Registered by quietorchid of Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on 2/1/2016
Journal Entry 1 by quietorchid from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Monday, February 01, 2016
Small little vignettes exquisitely written make up a life from war torn Vietnam to Canada. Nguyen An Tinh was born to a well to do family in Saigon, and lived through the communist takeover. Her family got out to a refugee camp, and then on to Canada.

The book is filled with little Jewels, Uncle Two and his living large, Aunt Seven and her troubles. The wonder continues in Canada as the author describes people welcoming them to their new country.

Winner of the Govenor-General's Award.
Fly far little book!

Journal Entry 2 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Thursday, June 16, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (6/16/2016 UTC) at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Sent off into the yonder at the Post Office, winging its way to the winner of the Canadian Days sweepstakes!

Welcome to Bookcrossing, where Books roam freely! I hope you enjoy the book, and leave a journal entry so I can see where the book ended up. You can remain anonymous if you'd like, or join and follow the book's travels throughout the world. The site is free, secure, and non-spamming. Take a look around, and then go read!

Journal Entry 3 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Thursday, June 23, 2016
Arrived today! Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, July 06, 2018
Its that time - my yearly book purge. I will look for a new home for this one.

Journal Entry 5 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 15, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (7/18/2018 UTC) at Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Sending as a RABCK to mcsar. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by mcsar at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, July 25, 2018
I am very happy to participate in your book purge. Thank you for sending me this interesting book.

======================
Updated September 30, 2018

A very beautifully written book. The memories are at times sad, at times hopeful, at times poignant, but always emotionally authentic. The book reminds me of The Buddha in the Attic.

Journal Entry 7 by mcsar at Wishlist Surprise, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Friday, October 05, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (10/5/2018 UTC) at Wishlist Surprise, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

A wishlist book for Tarna who has always been lovely.

Journal Entry 8 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, October 18, 2018
How lovely of you to call me lovely. Ru arrived today and made me sooo happy. The book looks so intriguing, and it carried all kinds of treasures with it. I just had to go to cardlover.cn site. Didn’t understand more than just a few words (the English ones, of course) but wow, what cool stuff they’ve got there.
Love the postcard, too – and, of course, also the always so handy & needed release supplies. Your note on the postcard made me check when Finland actually got her first Vietnamese refugees. It was late 1970’s when 500 Vietnamese arrived here. (The first refugees came to Finland from Chile in 1973. Our history with refugees – with the exception of our own Karelian evacuees during and after WWII – is not that long.)
Ru is on my wishlists and now I’m happy to go and delete it from there. But before I do it, I want to write down the merit list of this book:
2015 Canada Reads winner
2011 Grand Prix Littéraire Archambault
2011 Premio Mondello per la Multiculturalità
2010 Prix du Gouverneur général : romans et nouvelles de langue française
2010 Prix du grand public du Salon du livre de Montréal – La Presse, Volet Essais et livres pratiques
2010 Grand Prix RTL-Lire

ETA, on 23th October, that I've now scanned those lovely postcards mcsar sent me. Thank you!